OPC development on COM platform
Are you having difficulties incorporating OPC data into your solution? Need to create an OPC COM program quickly and in quality? If so, QuickOPC comes to the rescue.
QuickOPC is a set of components that simplify the task of integrating OPC into applications. Reading a value from OPC Data Access server, or writing a data value can be achieved in just one or two lines of code!
QuickOPC is a radically new approach to access OPC COM data. Traditionally, OPC programming required complicated code, no matter whether you use OPC custom or automation interfaces. OPC Server objects must be instantiated, OPC Group objects must be created and manipulated, OPC Items must be added and managed properly, and subscriptions must be established and maintained. Too many lines of error-prone code must have been written to achieve a simple goal – reading or writing a value. QuickOPC saves you all that hassle.
The components can be used from various languages and environments. The available examples show how the components can be used from Visual Basic (VB, VB6), C/C++, VBScript (e.g. in ASP/IIS, or Windows Script Host), JScript, Perl, PHP, Python, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA, e.g. in Excel), Visual FoxPro (VFP), Delphi (Object Pascal), REAL Studio (REALbasic), Xbase (Xbase++), T-SQL (SQL Server), PowerBuilder (using PowerScript) and other tools. For example. you can develop HMI-s, or OPC Loggers with QuickOPC. Any tool or language that supports COM Automation is supported.
- NEW in v5.33: Full imperative programming object model now exposed from .NET to COM.
- NEW in v5.32: It is now possible to use OPC Unified Architecture (OPC UA) from within COM-based tools.
- New: QuickOPC now allows development of OPC Alarms and Events clients.
- New: QuickOPC can now connect to OPC UA (Unified Architecture) servers.
- New: We have verified compatibility with REAL Studio (REALbasic), and included corresponding example.
Useful links: Documentation / Examples / Knowledge Base
OPC COM Code Sample (VB6)
QuickOPC is unbelievably easy to use - here is a complete Visual Basic (VB6) example which reads and displays OPC data from a common OPC server:
' Create EasyOPC-DA component Dim Client As New EasyDAClient ' Read item value and display it Me.Text1 = Client.ReadItemValue("", "OPCLabs.KitServer.2", "Demo.Single")
Do you think it can be any simpler? But the simplicity is not the only advantage; the component is also very powerful. Using complex heuristic algorithms to optimize itself on the fly, it provides the most efficient, fastest access to the OPC data.
It is also easy to communicate with an OPC Unified Architecture (OPC UA) server:
' Instantiate the client object Dim Client As New EasyUAClient ' Read node value and display it Me.Text1 = Client.ReadValue("opc.tcp://opcua.demo-this.com:51210/UA/SampleServer", "nsu=http://test.org/UA/Data/;i=10853")
- Tested for compliance with OPC protocol standards, and for interoperability.
- Integration with Visual Studio development environment.
- Internal messaging layer provides isolation between OPC communications and the custom client code, resulting in high resiliency.
- Automatically connects to and disconnects from OPC Servers.
- No limits to number of connections, subscriptions, or tags.
- Supports all flavors of OPC synchronous and asynchronous reads and writes internally, subscriptions, discovery, browsing, and property access.
- Wide range of developer productivity features: Intellisense, ReSharper annotations, serialization support, and many more.
- Browsing Dialogs: Ready-made set of rich user interface (UI) components for browsing the OPC world.
Footnote & required disclosure: QuickOPC (including its Options) is a software development kit (SDK) for development of OPC clients. Installing QuickOPC or its Options does not change system settings.