Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

enhancing a non-OPC Application to a OPC UA client

More
14 Jun 2016 06:39 #4136 by support
Here it goes.

// This example shows how to write a value into a single node.
using OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA;

class WriteValue
{
  public static void Main()
  {
    // Instantiate the client object
    var easyUAClient = new EasyUAClient();

// Modify value of a node
    easyUAClient.WriteValue(
      "http://opcua.demo-this.com:51211/UA/SampleServer", //or "opc.tcp://opcua.demo-this.com:51210/UA/SampleServer"
      "nsu=http://test.org/UA/Data/;i=10221",
      12345);
  }
}

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2016 06:04 #4135 by toha0893
Microsoft visual studio 2013 and I am used to C++. However for a short example C# should not present a problem.
Thank you

More
13 Jun 2016 13:49 #4133 by support
The examples on the Web are not meant for real development. The Web is a marketing vehicle, not a documentation. The true examples of the product usage are contained within the product itself - you need to install the trial version to get them. FYI, their list is here: www.opclabs.com/files/documents/QuickOpc/Latest/Concepts-QuickOPC.pdf .

For your usage, however, the way I understand it, you will probably need just a simple "write", and not much more. I can point you to the right example for that and even copy it over here - which programming language/tool do you expect to use? Is it C# ?

More
13 Jun 2016 12:27 #4131 by toha0893
The important part for us is, that it can be done the way I described it. Can you at least offer any suggestions where to look for guidance? There have to be some common steps regardless of the application when using QuickOPC.
You provide a lot of examples on this website, (e.g.: Accessing OPC from inside SQL Server (SQLCLR), using QuickOPC-COM), however many files are marked as obsolete.

More
13 Jun 2016 09:42 #4124 by support
We do the OPC part. What you are asking about differs from app to app, and is outside of the scope our product is intended to cover.

More
13 Jun 2016 09:40 #4123 by toha0893
That is exactly what is required for the time being. Sending the string to some OPC UA Server using QuickOPC. The Question for me is how to do that?
I watched the examples on how to write into tags on an OPC UA server, how to read tags using QuickOPC and more… and it is really simple. Can do both without problems. I however don’t understand how to access the string that I am trying to send and how to send it. Theoretically accessing it either from the SCADA or the postgreSQL Database would be OK.

More
13 Jun 2016 08:44 #4121 by support
OK I thing I start to understand. In this case you can use QuickOPC to simply send the whole string to some OPC server that will understand it, OR you can decode the string in your app, and send it "in parts" using the same method.

More
13 Jun 2016 07:45 #4120 by toha0893
Well the Plan was not to use an OPC UA Server in the SCADA package at all. Just to implement a client “somewhere” in the SCADA package and send the described DATA over an OPC UA connection to an OPC UA Server embedded somewhere in the Customers Network. 1way file transfer or flailing that, 1way Data transfer from the SCADA or a postgreSQL Database to the Customers OPCUA Server is all that is required for the 4.5gen.
I know this is not how OPC UA is supposed to work… However this is just an intermediary step. One that was believed to be achievable really quickly with QuickOPC, so that development of a new gen. 5 application that fully supports OPCUA can begin.

More
10 Jun 2016 12:51 #4117 by support
It would be useful if you can provide a block diagram of the intended solution, or a description of it.

Because, as far as I can tell, either you want to do something very untypical, or you have misunderstood how OPC clients and servers are supposed to work.

A SCADA package, typically, may use OPC for two things:

1) Achieve communication with lower layers - the technology: e.g. field devices, controllers, sometimes directly sensors. Some of the technology might have/be an OPC server. The SCADA package will then contain an OPC client piece, and use it to communicate with the technology. In this case, however, the OPC client would talk the OPC protocol to the OPC servers, and no such messages as in your example would appear between the OPC server and the OPC client, or in the SCADA software: It would be a task of the OPC server (separate from the SCADA package) to take care of the protocol encoding/decoding.

2) Provide communication with higher layers (e.g. MES or ERP systems). In this case, however, the SCADA package will be normally acting as an OPC server, not an OPC client.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toha0893

More
09 Jun 2016 08:44 - 09 Jun 2016 08:47 #4116 by toha0893
The SCADA software receives Data from several sensors, analyses them and visualizes them. The string is the SCADA software’s Output at the moment. And has nothing with OPC. That’s why we want to enhance the application to become an OPC UA client. The string represents all the data we need for the visualization. Let me explain string it in more detail. Maybe there is really something I just understand wrong.

We would like to enhance our application so that the “string” can be send as real OPC UA data to an OPC UA Server. That’s what I imagined under Enhancing a non OPC Application to become an OPC UA Client. I.e.

File Attachment:

File Name: Test2.pdf
File Size:72 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2016 08:47 by toha0893.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds