Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

× If you are developing in .NET, but are using the OPC-UA (OPC Unified Architecture), please post in the QuickOPC-UA category instead.

Upgrade from version 5.23 to 2020.3 - DCOM Issues

More
12 Dec 2020 10:31 #9267 by support
Incidentally, there is another user with somewhat similar problem: www.opclabs.com/forum/quickopc-net--9/3135-service-starting-error-1053#9259 . And I think in our case, the cause might be similar, too.

There is something in the startup code that blocks or silently crashes. Therefore the server part does not fully finish its initialization, For out-of-process servers, the main task of the COM server initialization is to register its class factories with COM, and the error you are seeing has to do wit the fact the server has not done that in time.

The other user I referred to (unless it's you as well..) apparently gets some kind of licensing exception (not from QuickOPC) and in addition, his code does not handle it and the process crashes. I can imagine that if instead a similar exception was inappropriately "swallowed", the symptoms would be as in your case.

I suggest that you attach a debugger to the process and investigate.

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2020 12:22 #9255 by PythonByte
Sorry for the confusion, my application is both of OPC client and a server. I have updated both of them at the same time. the OPC Client from 5.23 to 5.59.492.1 and the SLIKDA server to the latest. I am getting no error messages whatsoever from within Visual Studio 2019. My applications (client & server) are targeting x86 platform on Windows Server 2019 and framework 4.7.2 (it used to be framework 3.5).

Matrikon OPC Explorer can see my server name in its available servers to connect to (so its registered fine) trying to connect to it spits out the following error in the event log: The server {016D15EB-E0FC-4548-A166-442D9E20948B} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

If i run the old code on Windows Server 2019, it works and Matrikon can connect without issues, so I doubt its a DCOM issues although I have configured it just to rule it out.

Matrikon spits out this error:
COM/OPC error 0x80004005 on CoCreateInstance()
Error string: Unspecified error

Additional: Could not connect to server 'My.ServerName.1'

More
11 Dec 2020 07:27 #9253 by support
Hello,
unfortunately I do not understand the principle of your issue at all.

QuickOPC is a toolkit for OPC client development. You cannot develop servers with it. You could not do it with 5.23, and you cannot do it with 2020.3 either. So, when you write "I just upgraded [...]and my OPC server application now compiles and runs just like the old version ", I cannot make any sense out of it.

Or, is your application both an OPC client and an OPC server ?

Regards

More
10 Dec 2020 22:06 #9251 by PythonByte
guys,
my 5.23 version works fine, I just upgraded to version 2020.3 and made the necessary changes and my OPC server application now compiles and runs just like the old version except when I try to connect any client to it, I get the following error in my event viewer :
The server {016D15EB-E0FC-4548-A166-442D9E20048B} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

I use Matrikon client to connect and it does try and comes back with can't connect error. I am running everything on the same machine so DCOM is highly unlikely although I did go through the configuration process. Windows Server 2019 is the OS.

If I put the old version 5.23 Matrikon will connect to it just fine. Debugging from VS2019 is revealing nothing and I am looking for either someone will tell me its a bug with Windows Server 2019 or something like this?

I appreciate the suggestions

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds