Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

High Memory Usage From OPCLabs During Runtime

More
16 Jul 2021 12:53 #10004 by support
From looking at the screenshot you provided, I do not see anything nearing 2.7 gigabytes of consumption. Assuming that the numbers are in bytes, even the total consumption for .NET objects that are alive is 608 MB, with 263 MB of that in OpcLabs.* objects. For my part, I am fine with that, for 50,000 items.

If the 2.7 GB number corresponds to something like the "Private Bytes" performance counter, it may be that the .NET has allocated it and is not using it momentarily. Unless there a system-wide memory shortage, there is nothing that prevents .NET from allocating more memory for the process than that is actually needed, if it "feels like" doing so.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bishop

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2021 07:23 #10003 by Bishop
Thank you very much for the insight. We were not complaining about a memory leak, we were only concerned by the actual memory usage based on 50000 OPC DA Item Subscriptions and how this may impact our product running on a 32-bit system, if need be.

Kind regards,

Brett.

More
15 Jul 2021 14:00 #10000 by support
Hello,

are you suspecting/complaining about memory leak (objects not being ever deallocated), or just a memory consumption (per item) that is higher that one would intuitively expect?

If the problem is just the memory consumption per item: We have no numbers to provide, and whatever the consumption per item is, it is OK in our perception.

Best regards

More
15 Jul 2021 13:54 #9999 by Bishop
My team and I have noticed that after subscribing to 50000 OPC DA Items our memory grows to approximately 2.7 GB and hovers there for the duration of the applications lifecycle. A memory profiling tool was used to take snapshots of the memory allocation, seen in the figure below.

We have noticed that a comparison of two snapshots shows that more than half of the total byte size is allocated to the OPCLabs namespace and we would, therefore, like to know if this is typical or abnormal behavior? In essence, what is the peak memory usage expected for x number of OPC DA Item subscriptions?

Kind regards,

Brett.
Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds