Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Managed Resource License Store not working as expected

More
21 Feb 2019 13:27 #7125 by support
I have not found anything wrong in the source code and binaries you have sent to me.

I have created a similar solution (one main file, one class library), and have embedded your license key. I was not able to reproduce the problem.

At the moment I do not see how to progress further, without a reproducible scenario. Are you sure that the customer had/has proper versions of your software, with the license in it etc.?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2019 16:07 #7105 by jc831
It runs from the DLL. It returns 1999324790, which matches the number on the license file.
Regards.

More
19 Feb 2019 11:37 #7102 by support
I have received the files via DropBox, thank you.
Regarding the code in QuickOpcLicenseManagement, in which of the two projects does it run - in the DLL, or in the UI EXE?

When you check the serial number returned, is it really your serial number, or a different one?

Thank you

More
17 Feb 2019 10:57 #7098 by admin
Thank you for the details. Yes, there should be not other action needed on the target machine, when the license is properly stored in MRLS.

Can you post here the piece of code from your project that does the license registration, including the beginning of the file (so that I can see the namespace declarations), and the actual executable (zipped; just the EXE, no additional files)? If you do not want to post it here, I will give you FTP site to upload to, or you can use Dropbox or similar service and send me the link by email, to support09(at)opclabs.com .

I do not want to run the application at the moment, that's why no other files or instructions are needed; I just want to examine it using ILDASM and check whether things are in their right place, in comparison to the source code registration piece.

Best regards

More
16 Feb 2019 21:36 #7097 by jc831
Hello,
1. I am not sure it is working. As I mentioned, I am not using the License Manager at all, based on the previously referenced documentation that (as I understood it) MRLS works in place of the License Manager. My interpretation is that the Managed Resource License Store scheme would be easier to deploy, since I only have to copy the executable with the embedded license to a new machine, and do not have to run the License Manager at all. If I am incorrect on this understanding, please clarify.
To be clear, the machine in question has not had License Manager run on it.

2/3. This is our first attempt at deployment. There are no other installations.

4. We did verify in the VS debugger (on the target machine) that the serial number reads back as shown in the example. Is that sufficient to verify whether the licensing is correctly implemented? Yes, I will add something to display the serial number at runtime.

>> The second issue corresponds to 0x80004005, E_FAIL: "Unspecified error". It is not related to licensing.It most likely comes from the target OPC server.
Very well. I will try to resolve that problem separately on site.

Best Regards

More
16 Feb 2019 16:53 #7095 by admin
Hello,
regarding the "Run time is over ..." error, I have some questions:

1. Are you sure that it works on your computer? That is, have you actually *uninstalled* the registry-based license (using License Manager), and *then* tested whether the license from embedded resource kicks in?

2. Have you tested on any other computer?

3. Is that the one and only customer who has this solution at the moment? Or, are there others that do not have the problem?

4. Do you have the ability to display the serial number of the detected license (similar to the code you refereed to) in your application, so that this can be checked on the deployed system? If not, would it be possible to add it?

The second issue corresponds to 0x80004005, E_FAIL: "Unspecified error". It is not related to licensing.It most likely comes from the target OPC server.

For both issues, you should improve your error handling. Any single-operation QuickOPC method can throw OpcException (this is the case with both errors above), for reasons that you cannot always prevent from your code. Therefore, the code must handle OpcException gracefully. Multi-operation QuickOPC do not throw this exception, but instead indicate the result in the .Exception property of each result object - which should be tested and handled as well.

Best regards

More
15 Feb 2019 18:49 #7094 by jc831
I am using Quick OPC Version 5.54.453 with a Single Developer + Runtime Free License. I added the licensing code based for the Managed Resource License store based on this article , and I can read back the serial number correctly at the end, which I am assuming indicates that I have done it correctly.

I am assuming that I do not need to take any other actions to activate the license, based on the documentation here which says "Its advantage is that it does not require any further actions during deployment." I have not used the License Manager on the target machine because of this assurance.

However, the customer reports that the application only runs for 30 minutes, before getting this exception:

An OPC operation failure with error code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF) occurred, originating from ''. The inner exception contains details about the problem.

02-14-2019_14-36-12(0.0) ERROR: InnerException: Run time is over the limit in license "Multipurpose". The license you have (most likely trial version) does not provide valid data after certain time period expires. Note that after the component's process is simply restarted, valid data will be provided again. Obtain and install proper license to permanently resolve this error.

Component name: "QuickOPC", license IDs: "Multipurpose", version number: 554, release date: 11/9/2018, trial validity: 210 days, option name: "EasyDAClient".

In addition, today the customer reports that the application doesn't start at all with

An OPC operation failure with error code -2147467259 originating from ‘OPCLabs.EasyOPCRaw.DataAccess.RawEasyDAClient’

Can you provide any guidance on this issue?

Regards,
Jeff

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds