Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL) using Client.ReadValue()

More
20 May 2022 12:51 #10874 by support
Hello.

Unfortunately this is the least descriptive error possible - E_FAIL can be just about anything. We do not actually create this error anywhere directly in our code, but it can come from functions that we are calling, or from a COM infrastructure.

I can only suggest to do some "related" experiments, and try to collect some knowledge in this way, which can then help us to get closer to the cause of the problem. Such as (pick as many as possible):

1. Is this only with specific node, or with any node?
2. Are you able to call other operations on the server from your VB6 program, such as Browse? If not, what is the error?
3. Can the node be read using the "COM" demo app that comes with QuickOPC? If not, what is the error?
4. Do the VB6 examples (that connect to our demo server) work? If not, what is the error?
5. Can the node be read using the .NET-based demo app that comes with QuickOPC? If not, what is the error?
6. Can you modify the VBScript example for "ReadValue" that comes with QuickOPC, and see if it can be used to read your node? If not, what is the error?
7. If you modify your program to connect to our public demo server (as in QuickOPC examples) and read a node from it, does it work? If not, what is the error?

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2022 14:41 #10872 by albi.majun.1960@gmail.com
Dears,

My customer got a new machine and I'm integrating it in the MES interface.
I'm trying to readout the value of the field of below NodeId = ns=6;s=::AsGlobalPV:Numero_Commessa
The field is type String and its value is currently value is "1234"
As you can see detail in the attachment

Here simply the VB6 instruction that I'm executing when I'm facing the error in subject

NrCommessa$ = "ns=6;s=::AsGlobalPV:Numero_Commessa"
MsgBox "NrCommessa: " & Client.ReadValue(ServerOPCUA$, NrCommessa$)

and here the GOTO Error result
Err.Result= Error.Description...-2147467259 - Error not specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL)

Could you please let me know why I cannot readout the value I'm looking for ?
Where I'm wrong?

Next step will be to simply readout the value form the field "ContaMolle" that is type UInt32., it's a counter.

Thanks
Alberto
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.055 seconds