Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

BadSecurityChecksFailed error

More
27 Oct 2021 09:41 #10297 by support
Hello.

I do not understand why are you deleting the MachineDefault folder.
If you delete it, QuickOPC based client application will, by default, create its own new app instance certificate there. And it will have a different thumbprint each time, this is normal. But the servers will see it as a different certificate and the trust will have to be set up again.
Normally you will keep the MachineDefault folder. On subsequent runs on QuickOPC applications, the application will find and reuse the app instance certificate it is there.
Or, are you trying to say that new certificate with the same subject name but different thumbprint are created even if you do not delete the MachineDefault folder?

For the other party (server), each certificate is different (it fact what matters is the contents, not the name(, the fact that they have the same name before square brackets is irrelevant in this respect.

Other SDKs might be using different folders or storage mechanism for their certificates.

So far I have not noticed any "problem" with the QuickOPC handling of certificates in your posts, just misunderstandings of how things work.

It is not possible to setup OPC UA secure communication without having to deal with certificate trust issues, not with any SDK in the world.

I do not understand what the problem is. Are you saying that you have enabled the "break" on when the exception is *thrown* (not just unhandled?). if so, you will get various exceptions and you need to Continue on them.

All QuickOPC assemblies used in you project must be the same version and build. The error could be caused by improper references. Your sentence " I have installed this assembly from Nuget package manager but I still get the same error." scares me. You need to decide whether your project will be referencing the assemblies from the local installation, or using NuGet. If it was using local assemblies and then you decide to reference via NuGet, a mixup is almost guaranteed. Decide on which way you want to use, and use it consistently.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2021 08:56 #10296 by Mirhaj
Hi,
I will number the points in this post because the points are not much related, so to make it easier for you to respond;

1- In MachineDefault folder in CertificareStores every time that I try to run the client, it creates a (.DER) file which starts with my application name and certificate thumbprint in square brackets that the code inside the brackets changes. I ran the application couple of times and after each run I deleted the MachineDefault folder. I then opened the MachineDefault folder and found a (.DER) file with different thumbprint inside the brackets. So when I want to send .DER file to the customer, which one I should send? or it doesn't matter as long as all files have the common name behind the square brackets?

2- Just a side comment that might give you hint on the issues: I have made another OpcUa client with another SDK (it's a famous provider of these products, I can probably tell you the name in the email if you want to) and with that client I can connect to both the customer server and our local server (that we use for testing) with no problem regarding certificates, etc. But I should be using your SDK since our company has the license from you since some years ago. One thing that I notice is that when I run my client with the other SDK, the CertificateStores folder is empty with no MachineDefault and/or UA Applications folder. Is there any reason behind?

3- In addition to the certificates issues, when I run the client with "Common Language Runtime Exceptions" enabled in C#, I get the following error while debugging: EasyUAClient becomes null because it says "Could not load file or assembly OPCLabs.EasyOpcForms, Version=5.54.1311 or one of its dependencies. The system cannot
find the file specified. I have installed this assembly from Nuget package manager but I still get the same error. Could you advise how can I solve this issue?

Best,
Ahmad

More
26 Oct 2021 17:47 #10295 by support
Hello.

The client already sends the certificate to the server when trying to connect. Vast majority of servers, when they encounter an "unknown" client, would put this received certificate into some kind of "rejected" folder. And then they have an administrative action which makes it simple to trust this rejected certificate that they already have.

So, when you have already attempted to connect to the server, I would expect the certificate be already there. But there can be servers that do not support this.

In such case, the location of the certificate stores folders is described in the links I gave you earlier. Most likely it will be "C:\Users\All Users\OPC Foundation\CertificateStores\MachineDefault\certs".

Note: Never give out the certificate with the private key (.PFX usually, in the 'private' subfolder). Just the one with public key (.DER usually).

Regards

More
26 Oct 2021 17:39 #10294 by Mirhaj
Hi,
I asked our customer to configure his server to trust my client (based on your advice) and he responded that I need to send him the self signed certificate and he will put that in the trust list.

So where the self signed certificate located on my local pc
(Which is the machine that I am running the client on)? Are they in the ProgramData\OPC Foundation\Certificate Store folder ? Could you please help.

Best,
Ahmad

More
26 Oct 2021 15:50 #10292 by support
Hello.

I do not see anything obviously wrong with this code, maybe except for the fact that Isolated = true is missing (you really need that if you are setting IsolatedParameters; you already had that in some earlier post, so maybe it is elsewhere in your code - but you definitely need it also with the code you posted now).

Less important comments:

- Unless you really know that the policy you want is Basic256Sha256 , it would be better to simply leave out the line that sets the policy. AllowedMessageSecurityModes should be sufficient, and the client and server will then negotiate a signed&encrypted endpoint with the best policy. If you *do* specify a concrete policy, you risk that in the future, some better policies will be implemented by the client&server, and this one will stop working.

- The parameters you are setting can also be set directly on the endpoint descriptor (and they will override those that come from SessionParameters). This might be a preferred way if you want to use the same EasyUAClient object with multiple servers - it then becomes easy to specify the endpoint selection policy and user identity differently for each server.

Regards

More
26 Oct 2021 15:29 #10291 by support
I have replaced the password by asterisks.

More
26 Oct 2021 15:23 - 26 Oct 2021 15:29 #10290 by Mirhaj
Hi,

Ok, I see. One other thing: as I mentioned the server is Sign & Encrypt, Basic256Sha256 with username/password authentication type. Could I connect to the server with the lines like this; ?
{
_client.IsolatedParameters.SessionParameters.EndpointSelectionPolicy.AllowedMessageSecurityModes = UAMessageSecurityModes.SecuritySignAndEncrypt;
_client.IsolatedParameters.SessionParameters.EndpointSelectionPolicy.SecurityPolicyDisplayName = "Basic256Sha256";
_client.IsolatedParameters.SessionParameters.EndpointSelectionPolicy.MessageSecurityPreference = Sign.Positive;
_client.IsolatedParameters.SessionParameters.UserIdentity.UserNameTokenInfo.UserName = "MHWirth";
_client.IsolatedParameters.SessionParameters.UserIdentity.UserNameTokenInfo.Password = "*****";

}

Please advise?

Best,
Ahmad
Last edit: 26 Oct 2021 15:29 by support.

More
26 Oct 2021 15:13 #10289 by support
Hello.

"AcceptAnyCertificate = true" is only instruction for the client to trust the server, not otherwise. So, in the list of 3 issues I was addressing in my last client, it is *only* applicable in the 3rd case. And, after you put it there, you can still get the 2nd error, because it is given by the server, and needs to be resolved on the server.

Regards

More
26 Oct 2021 15:06 #10288 by Mirhaj
Hi,

I have, as you see in my code below, used "AcceptAnyCertificate = true" and despite of that I have got the following untrusted certificate message from both client and server. Seems this AcceptAnyCertificate thing does not work very well. I noticed that was posted by some other people in Online Forums as well. So probably I should try to do that properly as mentioned below.

Best,
Ahmad

More
26 Oct 2021 14:48 #10287 by support
Hello.

Regarding the connection from EURW157325 to remote Siemens server, and "Self Signed Certificate is not trusted. IssuerName: CN=DE.RuntimeService, DC=EURW157325":
This is the server not trusting the client. For secure connections, this is a must. You need to go to the server and make it trust the client certificate. Clients that work without error have probably already done this earlier.

Regarding the connection on EURW157325 to a local server, and "Certificate is not trusted. SubjectName: CN=DE.RuntimeService, DC=EURW157325 IssuerName: CN=DE.RuntimeService, DC=EURW157325". Same thing. You need to configure that local server to trust the client.

Regarding the connection on EURW157325 to a local server, and "Self Signed Certificate is not trusted. IssuerName: CN=MHWirth Reference Server, C=US, S=Arizona, O=OPC Foundation, DC=eurw157325". This time it is the client not trusting the server. If you are OK bypassing the security (do not do that for anything else than testing), you can use "AcceptAnyCertificate = true" in QuickOPC. The proper method, however, is placing the server's certificate into the client's trusted peers cert store. The QuickOPC documentation has articles on that. E.g.:

- opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...%20Instance%20Certificate.html
- opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...html#Certificate%20Stores.html
- opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...ry%20Certificate%20Stores.html
- kb.opclabs.com/Using_OpcCmd_Utility_for_OPC_UA_Administration

Regards

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds