Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

DWORD becomes Int64

More
04 Apr 2012 07:45 #817 by support
DWORD becomes Int64 was created by support
Hello,
[.....]

The behavior you described is by design. You question is covered in "Data Types" chapter in the Concepts document (I am including a copy below, highlighting the relevant line). Basically, 32-bit unsigned integer may not work in all .NET languages (see e.g. msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/12a7a7h3.aspx ), and that’s why we convert it to 64-bit signed (which can hold all values of 32-bit unsigned). For most usages, this should not cause problems, but if you do need 32-bit unsigned integer, you may convert the value back.

On our “possible future enhancements” list, we have the ability to switch this off, but currently it is not implemented.

Data Types
OPC Data Access specification is based on COM, and uses Windows VARIANT type (from COM Automation) for representing data values.
Note: Some OPC servers even use certain VARIANT types that are not officially supported by Microsoft.
Microsoft .NET Framework has a different concept, and all data is represented using an Object type. Conversions between the two are available, but not always fully possible.
In addition, not everything that can be stored in an Object can later be processed by all .NET tools and languages. Microsoft has created so-called Common Language Specification (CLS), which has certain rules and restrictions that, if followed, guarantee cross-language compatibility. Public QuickOPC.NET components (assemblies) are fully CLS compliant, and that includes the way the data types are converted to and from OPC types.
QuickOPC.NET converts data from COM to .NET according to following table:

COM type (VARIANT)

.NET type (Object)

VT_EMPTY

System.Object (null reference)

VT_NULL

System.DBNull (singleton class)

VT_I2

System.Int16

VT_I4

System.Int32

VT_R4

System.Single

VT_R8

System.Double

VT_CY

System.Decimal

VT_DATE

System.DateTime

VT_BSTR

System.String

VT_DISPATCH

System.Object (not tested)

VT_ERROR

System.Int32

VT_BOOL

System.Boolean

VT_VARIANT

converted type of the target VARIANT

VT_DECIMAL

System.Decimal

VT_I1

System.Int16

VT_UI1

System.Byte

VT_UI2

System.Int32

VT_UI4

System.Int64

VT_I8

System.Int64

VT_UI8

System.Decimal

VT_INT

System.Int32

VT_UINT

System.Int64

VT_ARRAY | vtElement

System.Array of the converted vtElement type

Types that are highlighted do not convert from COM to their “natural” .NET counterparts, because the corresponding .NET type is not CLS compliant. Instead, a “wider” type that is CLS compliant is chosen.
Types not listed in the above table at all are not supported.
Strings are internally represented in Unicode wherever possible.

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik, OPC Labs

Original Message
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2012 8:21 AM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: AW: Data Acqusition Problems

Hello!

I have technical question concerning the return-data type using the following call:

OpcLabs.EasyOpc.DataAccess.DAVtq dacResult = dac.ReadItem(ServerDescriptor, new OpcLabs.EasyOpc.DataAccess.DAItemDescriptor(tag));

The returned object (dacResult.Value) is normally of Type of the Data-Object in the PLCs Memory and so returns objects like System.Single, System.Int32 which is so far so good to proceed further.

When reading a Siemens S7 DWORD of 32bit width via Softing OPC-Server (The OPC-Tag so get the Item is: DB258.DBD8:DWORD), the dacResult.Value is of type System.Int64 which is in fact not precise an may cause some trouble in the next steps.

Thanks for your support in advance!

Best Regards
M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds