Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Timeouts with OPC write, using Simatic OPC server remotely

More
10 Aug 2011 08:01 #457 by support
Thank you, I am glad that the cause of the problem is found.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Peter Siegel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Aug 2011 06:44 #456 by Peter Siegel
Hi!
With the analyzer tool we were able to trace the gabs in the communication back to the Simatic.net OPC Server. During Times of heavy IO Loads on the System, the Communication between S7 PLC and Simatic.net Server is paused/halted. As a consequence of this, no events are relayed via opc to the clients.
Again thank you for your help.
Peter

More
19 Jul 2011 14:54 #429 by support

Great - please download and install the <a href="/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=W7HYzaSQoWk%3d&tabid=195">OPC Analyzer tool.
After installing, enter any necessary information in the "Category Filter" and "Remote Machine Name" fields, and press the "Refresh" button. Then, select your target OPC server from the "Server" drop-down, and make sure the trace is started (if "TRACE STOPPED" is displayed, press the "start trace" button).
You then need to modify your application to connect to the OPC Analyzer instead of your real target OPC server; the OPC Analyzer acts as an intermediate logger. The ProgID of the OPC Analyzer is "OpcTestLab.OpcAnalyzer.1". You can then run your application, and you should see the trace being collected in the OPC analyzer. Make handnotes of times of any relevant events, such as the time when you have started the application, and when the exception occurred. After you are finished, select File -> Save Trace in the Opc Analyzer, save the .TRA file, and send it to us - ideally, attach it to your reply in this forum.
Note: The OPC Analyzer tool is available to OPC corporate members only, thus the download is only permitted to your user account (you must be logged into our site), and you can only use it for the purpose of troubleshooting this particular problem.

• Peter Siegel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2011 10:17 #426 by Peter Siegel
I can do that of course.
You can contact me at PeterS(at)4ahead.com
thanks Peter

More
14 Jul 2011 14:31 #415 by admin
The timeout might be genuine (i.e. it could be the execution in the OPC server that takes so long) or it can be an issue inside QuickOPC. Similar is the situation with the blocking during write statements.
Would you be willing to install OPC Analyzer tool according to our instructions, and collect the information necessary to diagnose the problem? The analyzer acts as intermediary between the OPC Client and Server, and logs the OPC methods calls and callbacks.

• Peter Siegel
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2011 13:36 #412 by Peter Siegel
I also experience this problem, but my OPC Server is local.
I'm writing, and sometimes get a Timeout ( but the value was set ). While executing write statements incoming subscription events seemed to be blocked too. Is there a way to avoid this behavoir?
I'm using:
easyDAClient = new EasyDAClient();
easyDAClient.ClientMode.AllowAsynchronousMethod = false;
easyDAClient.ClientMode.AllowSynchronousMethod = true;
easyDAClient.ClientMode.DesiredMethod = DAReadWriteMethod.Synchronous;

easyDAClient.Timeouts.ReadItem = 50000;
easyDAClient.Timeouts.WriteItem = 50000;
easyDAClient.Timeouts.GetProperty = 36000;
easyDAClient.UpdateRates.ReadAutomatic = 250;

easyDAClient.HoldPeriods.TopicRead = 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000;
easyDAClient.HoldPeriods.TopicWrite = 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000;
thanks

More
14 Jun 2011 14:39 #404 by support
[disabling the async method appeared to have solved the problem, though only after some delay; the hypothesis is that there was something blocked inside DCOM or OPC server internals, due to earlier attempts with the async]

More
14 Jun 2011 14:36 #403 by support
Hello,
first, I can confirm that there is no problem with the code itself (except that I cannot verify the validity of the ItemID you have used).

Second, using this line instead:

list.Add(new DAItemValueArguments("", "OPCLabs.KitServer.2", "Simulation.Register_I4", val++));

with our simulation servers works fine, gives no timeout. This means that the servers behave differently.

Before we go into some difficult troubleshooting (e.g. using the Opc Analyzer), I suggest that you try to force the component to use just Synchronous Writes. To do so, add this line (after instantiating the component):

_OpcClient.ClientMode.AllowAsynchronousMethod = false;

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik, OPC Labs

More
14 Jun 2011 14:35 #402 by support

<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">From:<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> M.
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 3:49 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: ...
<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">
Hello Mr. Zahradnik!

In the attachment you will find the project we discussed.

Server:
SIMATIC NET 2006, V6.4
OPC.SimaticNET
(on a different machine as the development system)

Thank you in advance for your support.
Any way to write down to the OPC-Server will help us at the moment (if reading with QuickOPC still works J)

Kind regards
M.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds