Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Two subscriptions with same items, unsubscribe one makes problems to the other one.

More
09 Sep 2014 14:43 #2258 by Emilio
This explanation fits perfectly my expectations!

This server is the only one which might send bad quality after subscription created, exactly like after this switch. This explains why!

We do not want this effect, therefore we shall use the Isolated = true.

Actually a subscription is created only once upon user "save configuration" action from a GUI that talks to a Windows Service, action that comes extremely seldom. Therefore the property Isolated = true can be well accepted.

Thanks,
Emilio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2014 14:32 #2257 by support
This behavior is "kind of" to be expected, at least with some servers. Here is what happens: The EasyDAClient objects that have Isolated = false share a common connection, a common set of OPC groups and subscribed items, etc., as you already know. And, if any item is requested more than once, it will be added only once to the server, and it will reside in an OPC group with the fastest rate - you already know this as well.

When, I this situation, you then have the same item subscribed two times, with different rates, and you unsubscribe the faster one, we need to make sure it then stays subscribed with the slower rate. Depending on the situation, there may be more than one way to do it. In this simplest scenario, when there is just item in the group, it would be possible to modify the OPC group parameters to the new rate, and the described behavior will probably not occur.

But, in the general case. there may be other items in the original (fast) group still, and we cannot modify that group. So, what actually happens, is that the we remove the item from the old group, and then create a new (slower) group, and add the item to it. This is the general sequence that can always be done.

It is this "switch", when the item is being removed and then added again, which can cause the server to send "bad" quality momentarily. Some servers will, some server won't. If it is a problem for you, using Isolated = true for different separate subscriptions is probably your way to go.

More
09 Sep 2014 12:45 #2256 by Emilio
Hello, originally I wanted to post two different topics. I found one of them already here, with the suggested solution. I implemented the suggested solution and suddenly also the second problem disappeared...I decided to post the whole issue because the apparent solution might be a side-effect, or anyhow something not really expected.

The story: I have two subscriptions, each one on its own instance of the EasyOpcClient, same OPC server, same OPC Items but different refresh rates.

When the fastest subscription runs, also the slower gets changes at the same (fast) speed. I found the topic already in the forum and I've learned that if one sets the property Isolated = true, then the two subscriptions run completely independent on each other, that's fine.

However I have another problem at this point: when I use a particular server (the Matrikon OPC Demo Simulation server, which can be downloaded for free from Matrikon) when I stop the fast subscription all the values from the slow subscription come with BAD Quality and no value, at least once, then again ok.

If I use the flag Isolated = true then this problem disappeares, each item comes continuously with value and GOOD quality.

I just would like to know whether this is an issue of this particular OPC server or a side-effect due to the use of the Isolated property.

The reason is: I have also to decide whether to use the Isolated flag or not.

Thanks,
Emilio

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds