Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

"Access denied" comes in ItemChanged event for some OPC Servers

More
27 Aug 2014 13:29 #2187 by Emilio
I agree, normally we try to set the "Local System Account" instead of any specific (directly or indirectly) user.

For some reason that I haven't investigated this setting was not possible.

My main point was to see where the issue actually was, and now we know it.

Thanks for your support and best regards,
Emilio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2014 10:51 #2186 by support
Emilio,
I am glad this is resolved.

Actually, neither "Launching User" nor "Interactive User" are usually good settings for OPC servers. Except for rare scenarios, you should probably switch to a specific, pre-set user (I think the choice is marked "This account" or "Specific account" or similarly).

The reason for it is that with "Launching User", if there are multiple OPC clients configured with different identities, the system will attempt to start multiple instances of the OPC server, which, for most servers, won't work.

Best regards

More
27 Aug 2014 09:18 #2185 by Emilio
Hello Zbynek,

I've just found out why this problem happens:

By comparing different OPC servers, I've noticed that the only one for which the callbacks had "access denied" from inside our Windows Service was registered as "Interactive User" while all other ones had "Launching User".

I've changed this setting accordingly and everything worked fine, even after logging off from Windows.

This issue is definitely closed!

Thanks for your suggestion about DCOM settings, there was the issue.
Emilio

More
16 Jul 2014 12:14 #2080 by support
The error indicates a problem setting up a callback mechanism. It has to do either with permissions and user accounts - either in DCOM configuration, or for/in the client application, or a combination of these. If things like node browsing, normal Reads and Writes work well, this error means that the "opposite to normal" direction has a security problem: The SERVER cannot access the CLIENT (for the callback mechanism).

There are, however, so many combinations of DCOM settings and other configuration items that I cannot provide a concise guidance. I suggest that you start by checking for setting differences (DCOMCNFG, user accounts) between the servers that work and server that don't work.

On the client side, you may try to change the settings at the bottom of this thread: www.opclabs.com/forum/connections-reconnections-com-dcom/124...achines-via-code-quickopc-dcom .

(and possibly, have a look at www.opclabs.com/forum/com-connections/1345-dcom-for-opc-configuration-tutorial#1796 , support.softwaretoolbox.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1554 ).

Best regards

More
16 Jul 2014 12:06 #2079 by support
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2014 10:59 AM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: A technical question.

Hello Zbynek,

[...]

I noticed the following, which might cause problems if we do not find out where the reason is.

I made a small client application, standard EXE, to integrate some OPC Subscription, items subscribed from many different OPC servers.
Everything works fine.

Then I integrated the test implementation in the real application, which is a Windows Service (if that helps...it seems the only difference) and I noticed that for some OPC server only, not all, the OnValueChanged() event comes only once with the exception: "Access is denied".
For the same servers everything works fine in the test application, standard EXE.

Maybe you have seen already such issues, that is way I'm asking you before starting analysing here and there...

I can tell you more: because of policy restrictions (I have a laptop) I have to start VS2012 and each EXE that is itself a WCF Service for example (our Windows Service is also hosting a WCF Service) with Administrator rights.

Can you see some light???

Thanks in advance,

with my best regards,
E...

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds