Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

SLOW READ AND WRITE PERFORMANCE

More
14 Jun 2013 18:24 #1340 by support
On a local computer, not a high-spec hardware, and with reasonable OPC server, we can normally read 2000 items below one second. I do not have a measurement for "write" but it should be similar.

There is an example that shows this with our simulation server, and makes the measurement. It is in the Examples solution, project is Console\DocExamples, the example name is _EasyDAClient.ReadMultipleItems.TimeMeasurements.cs (or VB). Can you try it out first to see that there is nothing wrong on your system in general? And then, try to see what's different from your example?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2013 02:14 #1333 by Ben_FA
Hi,

I have been developing a VB.NET application to read and write tags from a Siemens S7-300 PLC.
The OPC Server I am using is Archestra DASSIDIRECT v2.0.

The problem I am having is the read and write takes an extremely long time up to 2 minutes.
For example to complete a multiple tag write of 1125 tags it takes upto 2 minutes and during that time the VB.NET application and the OPC Server (both on the same PC) consumes 100% of the CPU making the computer unusable.

Similarly doing a read of 32 tags can take up to 2 minutes.
Attached is the code for the Read and Writing.
The Write code is used to write 1125 tags to the PLC however this can be changed to increase to up to 2250 tags.
The Read code is used to read and write 32 REALs to the PLC.
The code is structured very simple one function to setup everything then one function to read once and one function to write once.

To put it simply the performance and CPU utilization is unacceptable.
Is there anything wrong with the code I have written or any explanation as to why this is happening?

Am I asking too much on this product?
Note: I purchased this product because on an initial test it worked quite well compared to an OPC.NET component that we were previously using and allowed options like multiple tag writes however when I switched over our program to using this component the system just freezes up when we read and write.

Thanks,
Ben
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds