Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

OPC.NET Licence

More
26 Aug 2011 08:03 #463 by support
Replied by support on topic Re: OPC.NET Licence
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 5:11 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: AW: OPC.NET Licence

Dear Mr. Zahradnik,

thanks again, that was a fully clear explanation.

I made a type error by the question 2. I wanted to mention 105002 not 105003, but you have already gave an answer to it too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2011 08:01 #462 by support

Dear Sir,

Please see my answers below.

Best regards,

Zbynek Zahradnik

Original Message
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 4:07 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: AW: OPC.NET Licence

Dear Mr. Zahradnik,

that was almost clear, thank you.

But I don't understand why I need to uninstall it from machine 2 to continue developing it on machine 1.

>>>>> Because it is "Single PC Usage License". Technically, it would work just fine - there is no protection. But legally, you buy rights with the license, and the rights are for single machine at a time.

I have developed it without a licence on machine 1 and ran it on machine 2 (for 30 Min. of course).

Why can't I continue doing it this way with only one licence on machine 2?

>>>>> Technically, yes. Legally - no, the explanation is above. Think about it this way: Anybody who wants to really USE the component for something (not just development), eventually needs to get away from the trial license and buy something. In theory you should only use the trial only to evaluate whether the software is worth buying; then buy it; and then do the real development. We do not care much if you don't buy it while you are developing on first machine, because, as I said, one needs to buy a license for real usage anyway. At that moment, the license restrictions really come to effect, and you need to pick the right license (or combination). If you bought just one 105001, put one machine into production, and continue development at the same time, you would simply be violating the terms of "Single PC Usage". The short description with the license says it: "You can develop on one computer, but must purchase licenses for each other computer that you plan to deploy to.".

2. If I get the 105003, do I have to uninstall it and put it on another machine so that for example my partner can continue developing it on his machine?

>>>>> I do not fully understand the question. Only one license can be installed at a time on a given computer (technically enforced); and each machine for non-trial use must have appropriate license installed, for legal use. So, for example, if you buy 1 piece of 105001 and one piece of 105003, you can cover two computers: one can be in any role (105001 allow either development or production=runtime usage), and one only for development. Or, if you buy just 105002 (which comes to almost the same price as the combination of 105001+105003), you can have one computer in any role (development or production, but most likely this will be the development computer), and then any number of production computers.

>>>>> 105002 is the most popular buy, because most organizations are fine with just one developer machine at a time, and welcome the option to deploy to any number of production machines. Only organizations that indeed require multiple developers working with the component at separate machines will consider the combination with 105003.

More
26 Aug 2011 08:00 #461 by support

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in our products and services.

105001 is Single PC Usage - meaning that you have to uninstall the license from Machine 1 before you install it on Machine 2, etc.

With this, you can develop on Machine 1 and then uninstall it and run the software on Machine 2, that would be fine - although a bit inconvenient if you ever want go back to development on Machine 1, which would require you to uninstall from Machine 2 etc.

Strictly speaking, the trial version you have probably used so far is for usage before you decide for real that you are going to use it; however it looks like that you have done the development with just the trial version.

We do not mind if you have done that, and now buy just 105001 for running it on another machine - but it would not be OK to continue development and therefore keep using 2 machines, with just 105001. For this, combining

105001 with 105003, or buying 105002, would be appropriate.

I hope I have made it clear - if not, let me know.

More
26 Aug 2011 07:59 #460 by support
OPC.NET Licence was created by support
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:03 PM

Subject: OPC.NET Licence

I have developed an applikation on a machine with QuickOPC.NET. But I want to run it on another machine.

Is the licence 105001 OK for this? Submitted By: H.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds