Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Trial License in build despite License Manager Activation

More
06 Jun 2022 15:32 #10933 by FAnsariCMC
Understood. Thank you for the license checking method. I just incorporated it and that made our lives much easier.

f you have a 64-bit machine and your app truly runs in 32-bit process, then you actually need the license under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Licensing\QuickOPC\Multipurpose key - which represents the 32-bit part of the registry (Hmm, well, if you look at it using 64-bit REGEDIT. Things look differently with 32-bit REGEDIT. And the keys may look differently too, if the registry manipulation is done directly from the installer and the installer is 32-bit: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/registry-redirector ).

Yes, this turned out to be the issue. I have fought a lot with the 64-bit/32bit issue yet I seemed to have missed this registry quirk. The licensing seems to be working now that we put it in the WOW6432Node. Thank you so much for the quick and insightful answers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: support

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2022 15:03 #10932 by support
Hello.

Re

But upon reading the user guide section on "Deployment Automation", it looks like we may need to embed the license file or get our installer to install the .reg file on all computers that we will need to run our software w/QuickOPC on. Please correct me if I'm wrong?

This is almost correct - except that it does not *have* to be .REG file; it can be any method that results in the necessary registry entries.

If you do not want to wait 30 minutes to figure out if the license key works, you can use this example: opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...0Obtain%20serial%20number.html

The directory where the application is located does not play role in the 32/64 bit decisions for licensing. What matters is the bitness of the process. Note that by default, .NET applications are set to use to "AnyCPU", which means that they actually run as 32 bit process on 32bit machines, and they usually run as 64bit process on 64bit machines, - but not always. That's why 2 places for storing the key are listed in the documentation: opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...bframe.html#License_Store.html and, on 64bit machines, we tell you to place the license into both of them. If you decided for just one, it may or may not work - you need to understand well what is happening, and you are on your own.

If you have a 64-bit machine and your app truly runs in 32-bit process, then you actually need the license under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Licensing\QuickOPC\Multipurpose key - which represents the 32-bit part of the registry (Hmm, well, if you look at it using 64-bit REGEDIT. Things look differently with 32-bit REGEDIT. And the keys may look differently too, if the registry manipulation is done directly from the installer and the installer is 32-bit: docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/winprog64/registry-redirector ).

Regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: FAnsariCMC

More
06 Jun 2022 14:46 #10931 by FAnsariCMC
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response.

I see. Yes, I understand that we can build without the license and so far building the project has not been a problem.

Yes, I was under the assumption that the file would not need to be embedded in the build.

Or, have you just installed the license on the build computer and now assume that the built app will run everywhere?

This is correct and our assumption.

But upon reading the user guide section on "Deployment Automation", it looks like we may need to embed the license file or get our installer to install the .reg file on all computers that we will need to run our software w/QuickOPC on. Please correct me if I'm wrong? Based upong my understanding of the documentation directions, we tried installing the .REG under the path "KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licensing\QuickOPC\Multipurpose" on a testing computer to test the build this and it still gave us the license timeout error after 30 mins. Our application is 32-bit but it is installed in the 64-bit directory. Could that be causing a problem since the document mentions installing the license under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Licensing\QuickOPC\Multipurpose for 64-bit processes.

Thanks again.

More
06 Jun 2022 13:59 #10929 by support
Hello.

The information about .licx files in the documentation is obsolete and no longer applies. It will be removed from the documentation in version 2022.2. If you have any .licx files, they do not do any harm, they are just ignored.

You do not need to have the license installed for building the project at all.

And, it does not get embedded by itself by building with it. So maybe this is the problem. When you say you have have used the License Manager, does it mean you did that on the computer where the application actually runs and where you are getting the error? Or, have you just installed the license on the build computer and now assume that the built app will run everywhere?

Best regards

More
06 Jun 2022 12:44 #10928 by FAnsariCMC
Hello,

We recently purchased a license for QuickOPC Single Developer + Runtime Free License, With 5 Years Upgrade Assurance. I tried following the steps outlined in your User Guide and activated the license using the License Manager and it seems to have gone through judging by the information shown in the attachment.

However, we tried testing the build and it gives the trial license error message:

2022-06-06 05:22:15,111 [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-6] WARN - Run time is over the limit in license "Multipurpose", serial number 1111111120. The license you are running (most likely trial version) does not provide valid data after certain time period expires. Note that after the component's process is simply restarted, valid data will be provided again. Obtain and install proper license to permanently resolve this error. You can ask for evaluation license key, if you need a longer run time for your tests.
Product information follows. Component name: "QuickOPC", license IDs: "Multipurpose", version number: 563, release date: 3/21/2022, trial validity: 397 days, option expression: "EasyDAClient".
Context: 0 dropped license(s).
+ The client method called (or event/callback invoked) was 'WriteMultipleItemValues[45]'.

I also do not see the licenses.licx file mentioned in the user guide under the project in Visual studio.

Moreover, Is there anyway to check if license is assigned properly within visual studio without having to run the build for 30 mins?

More information regarding our project:
  • Targeting .NET Framework 4.8
  • Referencing the Nuget packages from OPC Labs

Please let us know what further actions we need to take to rectify it as we need to be releasing our build soon.

Thank you,
Fahad.
Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds