Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

License Manager show an active license, but runtime is expiring after 30 mins or so

More
02 Mar 2017 17:50 #4982 by support
Hello,
thanks for the detailed explanation.

We always deliver the licenses in binary form; it must have been the reseller who has transformed it. You have probably done the reverse transformation it right (that's indicated by the ACTIVE status) - I will check that and let you know if it were not correct.

But I have realized one reason that explains the behavior, at least with the recent QuickOPC version: The "Component" (as shown in the License Manager), or the registry key under which the license is stored, has changed. It is no longer "QuickOPC x.y". It is just QuickOPC.

opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...bframe.html#License_Store.html

Therefore my first suggestion is: Start the License Manager again. In the "Component" drop-down, you should be able to select "QuickOPC" (if the latest version has been installed using our installer). Select the "QuickOPC" component, it should show you an empty list of licenses. Then, press the "Install" button , and install the latest (5.4x) license you have.

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2017 17:25 - 02 Mar 2017 18:10 #4981 by alan.storey
Dear Sir,

After going back through my notes I believe I understand what has happened.

When I received the original license file for version 5.4 it was delivered via email with a .txt file extension and the License Manager would not add the license to the registry. I suspected that the obviously binary file was processed as a text file somewhere along the way and guessed some line feed characters were changed or something of that nature. I opened up the license file in a hex editor and found that the entire license file was character encoded with Unicode or perhaps UTF-8. Having a pressing need for a valid license I tried to do the expedient thing and attempted to manually decode the license file back into its original form.

The license manager happily accepted the file after my changes and was showing the license as "ACTIVE". So, I patted myself on the back for a job well done avoiding a one week bureaucratic delay in obtaining a corrected license file. Meanwhile, the license manager is happily showing the license information as "ACTIVE" while the license checks in the actual code obviously disagree and silently fall back to "trial" mode.

I have attached the original .txt version of the license file I received as well as my "corrected" "bin" version, along with the PDF file I also received with the original license file.

Before we go digging around looking for other causes can you please check to make sure that the corrected license file is actually valid, and if not, can you please re-send a uncorrupted original with a ".dat" or similar file extension?

If you find that the file is actually valid, here are my responses to your questions:

1. Which operating system are you running on?
A: Windows 7

2. Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit system? -
A: 32-bit

3. How do you install the license - is it always using the License Manager, or do you have your own process - such as an installation program that includes this step?
A: I have tried both ways with the same result. The custom code I use to create the necessary registry keys has worked without fail with previous licenses and the entries made by that code have been verified to be a byte-for-byte copy of the entries which the 5.4 version of the license manager creates.

4. Can you please run one of the Demo applications that come with the product, and see if they have the same issue?
A: I'll try and will let you know.

5. I am concerned about your formulation "I downloaded the latest and greatest version which bought me some trial time ...". Just downloading and installing the product is not sufficient to upgrade your program. Have you also re-built your application with the new assemblies?
A: Yes. I verified that the GAC was free of any previous versions of the client library assemblies. The project was cleaned, the debug directory removed, and the application rebuilt.

6. The application shown on the image - is that you own application? I am puzzled about the "BadInternalErrorReceivedExceptionFromOpcClient" text in the Quality, as this is not any of the OPC qualities. Do you somehow you the Quality field for indication of such problems? Or does the information displayed in the yellow box come from a difference system that in turn connects to OPC servers (that is, is the QuickOPC component actually part of the application that displays the error, or is the architecture more complicated than that - in that case, can you explain how this works?).

A: Yes, that is my own application. The error message you see is the result of my application's logic alone. If an exception occurs while using the client library, I set the OPC "Bad" quality bit along with one of the vendor-specific OPC quality bits. The text you are puzzled about is the enumeration of that specific OPC quality value. The UI code looks for that specific OPC quality and knows to add the stored exception information to the tooltip so I can easily see what is causing a value to be bad be it a server set OPC quality issue, or an exception being caught while processing the value. I just piggy-backed on the OPC quality for convenience.

Thanks!

Alan
Last edit: 02 Mar 2017 18:10 by alan.storey. Reason: Removing attachment(s) which contain sensitive information

More
02 Mar 2017 09:13 #4978 by support
Dear Sir,

it looks like that in both cases (before and after upgrade to recent version), the QuickOPC component does not actually "recognize" the license that you see in the License Manager.
The 210 days comes from a trial license limitation - this is to prevent users from unknowingly running a trial of an obsoleted product version. By obtaining a newer version you overcome the this, but if it still does not recognize the license, it runs as a trial with 30-minute runtime limit.

I need to determine why this happens - i.e. why the license is not recognized. Can you please answer the following questions?

1. Which operating system are you running on?

2. Is it a 64-bit or 32-bit system?

3. How do you install the license - is it always using the License Manager, or do you have your own process - such as an installation program that includes this step?

4. Can you please run one of the Demo applications that come with the product, and see if they have the same issue?

5. I am concerned about your formulation "I downloaded the latest and greatest version which bought me some trial time ...". Just downloading and installing the product is not sufficient to upgrade your program. Have you also re-built your application with the new assemblies?

6. The application shown on the image - is that you own application? I am puzzled about the "BadInternalErrorReceivedExceptionFromOpcClient" text in the Quality, as this is not any of the OPC qualities. Do you somehow you the Quality field for indication of such problems? Or does the information displayed in the yellow box come from a difference system that in turn connects to OPC servers (that is, is the QuickOPC component actually part of the application thatdisplays the error, or is the architecture more complicated than that - in that case, can you explain how this works?).

Thank you

More
02 Mar 2017 00:19 #4977 by alan.storey
This started happening under version 5.4 under multiple machines at the same time. I downloaded the latest and greatest version which bought me some trial time but now I'm seeing an expiration message again.

We should have a maintenance contract (The company name is Spectra, recently acquired by Enbridge).

The error message states that the trial validity was 210 days (an odd number). Again, the license manager shows the 5.4 version of the license is ACTIVE (yes, same machine) but I'm still having problems with expiration (see attached files).

Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds