Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

StackOverflow error after upgrading to version QuickOPC-2023.1

More
30 Sep 2023 14:52 #12256 by ColinOPC
HI ,

If it wasn't for the fact that we have many other components in the main application that are all 32bit, i don't think at the moment its an option for 64bit, i will investigate further, as ultimately the 64bit system will be the way we will have to go, for instance we directly interface with Office 365 Apps, these are all installed on our clients machines as 32bit only and all these would then fail.. :-( , we may have to take your interface and completely separate it from the main app, then see if we can create an 64bit version..

Hey, goods new you are getting somewhere... just goes to show how subtle changes in windows 11 and Windows 10 are now coming to the surface....I expect many more from what I have heard..

I await your solution soon then .... :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2023 14:37 - 30 Sep 2023 14:39 #12255 by support
Hello,

an intermediate result in our testing is that the problem only happens when the Delphi application is compiled to 32 bits. It goes away when switched to 64 bits, at least with our test application.

So this may be a workaround for you too, and buy us/yourself some time - can you please try it out (assuming that you are currently compiling for 32 bits)? (In fact, newer systems such as Windows 11 only exist in 64 bit versions, so building for 64 bits is a wise choice anyway).

But that's not the whole story. We have already investigated deeper, and coming closer to figuring out the cause. Will keep you informed.

Best regards
Last edit: 30 Sep 2023 14:39 by support.

More
29 Sep 2023 07:19 #12251 by ColinOPC
HI,

Thank you, that's the best email I have had all year. Really appreciate you proving the same conclusion we came to. I will inform the client that you are now able to reproduce the crash that we have had for the last 3 weeks now. As all the clients machines are moving to windows 11 its important we fix this.

I feel like Christmas has come early... If you fix it then I am definitely moving Christmas this year. Cheers.

More
29 Sep 2023 06:23 #12250 by support
Hello.

I have asked my colleague to work on the repro. His results are;

1. A "working" Windows 10 system: no repro.
2. A clean Windows 10 system with just necessary pieces: no repro.
3. A clean Windows 11 system with just necessary pieces: problem reproduced (!).

So this is relatively good news. I think it explains a lot: We do test on Windows 11, but we do not test *everything* on Windows 11. So apparently this particular issue is related to Windows 11 only.

My colleague will continue investigation today. Nothing is required from your side at this point.

Best regards

More
28 Sep 2023 16:07 #12249 by ColinOPC
HI,

This issue appears on ALL machines, the Dev machine and any new pc we setup with your software installed. if you take a PC, and just run the exe (your demo) it crashes everytime.

Cheers

More
28 Sep 2023 15:56 - 28 Sep 2023 15:57 #12248 by support
Hello,
thank you for all the information and details.

It's good that it can be reproduced with our own demo.

Can you please clarify: With the demo app, were you able to reproduce the problem on the machine where the application was built? Or is the behavior such that it always *only* appears when the already-built executable is transferred to some another machine?

Regards
Last edit: 28 Sep 2023 15:57 by support.

More
27 Sep 2023 20:00 #12247 by ColinOPC
Update :

We have just had a new laptop configured with windows 11 (Fully patched), and installed a fresh copy of QuickOPC-2023.1, I installed your demo app on the machine and have exactly the same issue where your software reports stack overflow as below. This is good news as every machine we have now installed on has the same issue and we have not written a single line of code to be able to generate the issue, hopefully this will make it much easier for your to debug what the issue is...

Appreciate all your help and patience...

My customer is calling me like every 4 hours asking when we can dump this Windows 10 PC....Arghhhhh !! I feel like saying now if you want your manufacturing to stop...

More
27 Sep 2023 19:44 #12246 by ColinOPC
Hi,
I have now tested the examples that ship with your components, I have loaded the example from :
C:\Program Files (x86)\OPC Labs QuickOPC 2023.1\Examples-COM\OP\UADocExamples
It Compiled immediately with no issues in Delphi 11.2 and run giving me the menu in a console. See Picture
We selected Option 1 for the Main menu

then selected option 48, on pressing run we get the following screen message...does this help ?
Attachments:

More
27 Sep 2023 15:58 #12245 by ColinOPC
Hi ,I have built a very small application that has the same issue, I have attached all the Delphi code and the compiled Debug version of our app, also some more event information for you.

File Attachment:

File Name: KochOPC.zip
File Size:14,204 KB

While my main project on the same machine compiles and runs under release and debug, this small application, fails under both release and full debug mode, and always in the same call to your connect procedure. Not sure if the debug dump is useful but this is everything i have currently.

Very strange why it indicates a floating point invalid operation in full debug mode, i guess it must capture this on the exception thrown by your .NETT code.

Whats most strange is this small app crashes on the Delphi machine where as the full 14,000 lines application is fine, or at least returns from your connect procedure, thanks again for the assistance.

Colin
Attachments:

More
26 Sep 2023 22:26 #12242 by ColinOPC
Hi,

Hey I do appreciate all your help, being in the same position myself many times trying to diagnose a fault from the client saying "It's Broken'...not very helpful. I have told the client the great effort you are going to to fix this and they are prepared to help for a short while.

In the mean time we have restored the PC to a previous backup our engineer had thank goodness, running windows 10, so the machine is running at the moment, but if windows starts forcing updates or whatever then its game over again..

I do not quite understand why, when you replied to question 5, you are referring to "machines at the client side". Since the issue most likely does not need any client-side specific hardware or software for it to manifest, it could have been any PC - ideally, a virtual PC that, if it manifests the problem, we can take over and investigate here.
This is Correct our single exe complied Delphi application talks via your software to a Siemens PLC and this runs the packaging line on some large conveyer system.
We have now installed your software on 3 other test PC machines and laptops all running Windows 22H2 and we get the same issue, tomorrow I was going to see if i can create an extremely small app containing just your code and see if this does the same, hopefully i can then supply you with the Delphi Code, the Compiled .EXE and you can test in your lab.

I will get back to you tomorrow with my progress.. Appreciate your help especially as you are on holiday....

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds