Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

DCOM Hardening issue

More
04 Jan 2023 13:17 #11410 by brandon.skiles@subaru-sia.com
Okay thank you for that clarification!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2023 08:51 #11409 by support
Replied by support on topic DCOM Hardening issue
OPC UA is not built on top of Microsoft's DCOM protocol and does not use it at all. It defines its own protocols almost "from the bottom up", so (typically) it only needs a TCP connection between the client and the server. This can be sometimes blocked by firewalls, but that is an "on/off" thing - between two points, it either works, or it does not. The more fine-grained security (which applications and which users can connect, and what permissions they have) is fully in control of OPC UA, the operating system cannot influence in this detail what happens inside the OPC UA communication.

Best regards

More
03 Jan 2023 13:56 #11407 by brandon.skiles@subaru-sia.com
Okay I did not realize that. The reason I thought that it has to do with DCOM is that I can connect to any server that is not the 2022 version that has the DCOM hardening. This is the only reason that led me to believe that it must be DCOM issues. How is it that the OPC UA connection is not affected by DCOM settings?

More
03 Jan 2023 13:51 #11406 by support
Hello.

There is some serious misunderstanding going on.

Anything that has to do with DCOM relates to OPC "Classic" specifications/servers, for which there are EasyDAClient and EasyAEClient objects in QuickOPC.

The exception you have now posted comes from the EasyUAClient object. This is for connections to the OPC UA (unified Architecture) servers - and has no relation to DCOM whatsoever.

From the exception, I can see that you are trying to connect to "opc.tcp://StampingScada.ccrnt.ccr:49380". That indeed looks like a possible/typical OPC UA server endpoint URL. What lead you to believe that your issue has to something with DCOM? And, is it correct to say that the true error you need to resolve is the exception you have now posted?

Regards

More
03 Jan 2023 13:44 #11405 by brandon.skiles@subaru-sia.com
What I meant was I set the COM security on application startup for the OPC connection as described in the articles you sent me. I have attached the exception I am getting.

OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.OperationModel.UAException: An OPC-UA operation failure with error ID 'OpcLabs.UAEngine=1' occurred, originating from 'Opc.Ua.Core' and with depth of 2. The inner exception, of type "OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Engine.UAEngineException", contains details about the problem.
---> OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Engine.UAEngineException: UA SDK error (Opc.UA.ServiceResult=0x808A0000) in 'DiscoveryClient.GetEndpoints'. OPC UA service result - Error establishing a connection: BadNotConnected.
+ The error occurred when preselecting an endpoint for discovery URL "opc.tcp://StampingScada.ccrnt.ccr:49380".
+ Connection attempt #2; last connected at 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM (local); unconnected for 00:00:34.3900000.
+ Some possible causes of this error are that the OPC-UA server is not running, or is not configured to listen on the specified port. Also, the network connection may be broken (cable unplugged?).
+ The client method called (or event/callback invoked) was 'DataChangeNotification'.
---> OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.UAServiceException: OPC UA service result - Error establishing a connection: BadNotConnected.
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.ChannelAsyncOperation`1.End(Int32 timeout, Boolean throwOnError)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.UaSCUaBinaryClientChannel.EndSendRequest(IAsyncResult result)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.UaSCUaBinaryTransportChannel.EndSendRequest(IAsyncResult result)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.UaSCUaBinaryTransportChannel.SendRequest(IServiceRequest request)
at Opc.Ua.DiscoveryClient.GetEndpoints(RequestHeader requestHeader, String endpointUrl, StringCollection localeIds, StringCollection profileUris, EndpointDescriptionCollection& endpoints)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.Sdk.ToolkitDiscoveryClient.OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.Client.ISdkDiscoveryClient.GetEndpoints(String endpointUrl, StringCollection sdkProfileUris)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.Sdk.ClientUtils.<>c__DisplayClass55_0.<SelectEndpointInternal>b__2()
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.UAEngineBase.PerformSdkAction(UASdkCallType callType, Func`1 usingFunction, String name, Action sdkAction)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

More
30 Dec 2022 16:41 #11396 by support
Hello.

1. What do you mean by "I have [...] set the security initialization" ?
2. Do you get anything from your program in Windows Application event log? (Start -> Event Viewer, Windows Logs -> Application).

Regards

More
30 Dec 2022 16:11 #11395 by brandon.skiles@subaru-sia.com
I have set ComManagement.Instance.Configuration.SecurityParameters.UseCustomSecurity to false and set the security initialization. Still cannot connect to new 2022 servers, connection works fine to previous version servers.

More
29 Dec 2022 17:40 #11389 by support

More
29 Dec 2022 16:08 #11387 by brandon.skiles@subaru-sia.com
I am attmepting to connect to a top server machine that has been upgraded to 2022 version. I am having issues connecting fom the client which is using OPCLabs.QuickOPC(5.63.121). I have configured the component settings on both server and client to use the Packet Integrity authentication level. My question is how to I set the DCOM settings of the UA client in code when creating it? Or does it automatically accept the component services default settings?

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds