Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Access Denied Error Using VB.Net and Phoenix Contact

More
11 May 2012 09:58 #860 by support
Hello; yes, this is quite weird. Obviously the error is coming from the security. Because the browsing works, the issue probably has to do with the "reverse" way of communication: In OPC Data Access, the OPC Server needs to make callbacks into the OPC Client - so it could be failing at the moment where QuickOPC registers its "sink" interfaces for the callbacks with the OPC Server - these are only needed for reads/writes/subscriptions, but not for browsing.
I do not know why the supplied C# app should differ from VB or from your own apps. The only idea that comes to my mind has to with default DCOM settings on the *client* machine. For the "reverse" communication to work, DCOM has to be set on the client as well. This can be done for specific registered applications, or the default can be set for other "unknown" applications, by DCOMCNFG program. Normally, however, QuickOPC should override most settings that apply to the client side, so that the communication works. From the fact that the same component behaves differently under different apps, I guess that there may be some relevant setting that QuickOPC still takes from the system.
For this reason, and without having to troubleshoot directly on the problematic system, I would for start suggest to experiment with following settings:

DCOMCNFG "Default Properties": For "Default Authentication Level", try both "Connect" and "None".
"Default Impersonation Level" is normally "Identify"; try "Impersonate" as well.
DCOMCNFG "COM Security Tab": For test only, make it wide open (I can provide more help here if you need - let me know). If this helps then of course for the production configuratation it'll have to be shrunk down again.
Try both 'true' and 'false' for the static property EasyDAClient.ClientParameters.TurnOffActivationSecurity (this has to be set before any connection is made).

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2012 20:18 #859 by cuttajoe
Using the supplied examle EasyOpcNetDemo VB.Net project compiled for Framework .Net 3.5 under Windows 2008 R2 x64 it is not possible to read, write or subscribe items remotely. On any of these actions I get Access Denied error accessing a remote Phoenix Interbus server from Phoenix Contact. Browsing works fine.
Using the same EasyOpcNetDemo in C# compiled with the same framework version, same configuration works (browsing, read, write, subscribe) fine.
If I move the whole VB.Net installation to the target machine (direct to the machine where the Phoenix Interbus runs) under Windows 2003 R2 x86, then everything works fine.
On one hand it sounds like dcom configuration problem (as it works directly on the opc machine), but on the other it is really strange, that the C# version is working also remotely.
Nevertheless I thought I rewrite my application in C#, as it seemed to work. But my application gets the same error as the VB.Net version. And my applications all (VB.Net & C#) work local fine, but not remote.
I'm using the latest QuickOPC.Net 5.12 and VS2010.
Can anyone advise this probably security issue?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.051 seconds