Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

RPC Server Unavailable in simple DA client

More
22 Dec 2020 07:11 #9308 by support
Hello,

I do not have true explanation for this either. Internally, the software does do anything with the host name/address: It just passes it to underlying COM services. And as far as I can tell, both "localhost" and the actual IP address should work (provided that the "localhost" has its proper entry in the HOSTS file).

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2020 22:07 #9304 by janderscu
To answer your previous question .. this was a transient issue that threw the exception on the first data change event ... once the exception was thrown, no further data change events were triggered. I did not try other calls ... I only subscribe items this way. Thanks

More
21 Dec 2020 22:04 #9303 by janderscu
Well, I figured it out ... trial and error. Turns out, I had to enter the actual IP of the machine I was working on when subscribing to the items ... instead of "localhost". I've never had to do that before with this client so it is something specific to the setup here. Not sure why. Any thoughts on where I might check for a DCOM or security setting somewhere that might affect this? Just in case we run into it again. THanks

More
19 Dec 2020 11:14 #9299 by support
Hello,
this exception is coming from DCOM infrastructure and is almost always related to setup problems or network errors.

I have some questions.

1. Are you saying that you *always* get this error in the DataChange event, being totally unable to receive the data, or is it just transient error?
2. Are other operations (such as Read, Browse) possible, or do they also return this error?
3. Is the server you are connecting to on the same machine, or remote?
4. When you refer to other OPC clients being able to subscribe, do you run them on the same client machine as were you have the problem?
5. Have you double-checked the machine name in the arguments passed to the subscribe calls?
6. Are you able to subscribe to some other servers (for example, if your desired server is remote on the network, can you subscribe to other servers on the network, and can you subscribe to local servers?)
7. What type of project is your application? (such as Windows Forms, WPF, Console app, Web app, Web service, etc.)?

Thank you

More
17 Dec 2020 16:43 #9294 by janderscu
Hi, I am using QuickOPC 2020.2 Build 451.1 in a simple C# client that is subscribing to a DA server and monitoring data changes using the EasyDAItemChangedEventHandler. This client has been working fine on other machines and servers but running into an issue on a machine now where I get an exception in the DataChanged event with message: "RPC Server is unavailable" I know there are multiple sources for this error. I have turned off firewalls, etc based on reading I have done online on the subject. I do have other commercial clients I use for debugging that are not having this issue, they are able to find the server and subscribe to items fine. I can post code if needed. I appreciate any info to help debug this.

Thanks for the help.

Code to get exception:
static Exception GetException(EasyDAItemChangedEventArgs e_DA)
{
if (e_DA != null) return e_DA.Exception;
else return null;
}

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds