Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Re: Guidance on polling rates, number of points

More
20 Feb 2024 17:37 #12556 by support
Examples for OPC client and subscriber development in Python are now on GitHub: github.com/OPCLabs/Examples-QuickOPC-Python .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2023 13:45 #12409 by support
Note: QuickOPC now supports Python in much better way, cleaner syntax, and public packages (pypi.org/project/opclabs-quickopc/) on Python Package Index . See What's new in QuickOPC 2023.2 for more information. And, over 270 examples are available in the User's Guide!

More
11 Aug 2012 06:45 #983 by support
Hello,
subscribing to 1000 points and getting updates for each item once a minute is definitely something that should work. Different applications have different needs, but I can say that in general case, recommended approach is simply to call SubscribeMultipleItems once, with all 1000 items.
If you get an exception, then something is wrong. But there are many different possible causes, such as:

a bug in our component
a bug in your program
a problem reported by the OPC server

I need to know all available details of the exception and symptoms of the problem, in order to tell which of the above is the case, and how to proceed further. Is that an en exception thrown by a method call? Or does it happen asynchronously? What is the message text? Can I see the relevant pieces of your program? Etc.
To the question about number of points vs. number of updates: After the subscriptions are made, the load on the system is created mainly by the change notifications, and as such, it will be comparable in the two examples you gave. This is true if all the points actually DO change - but if they truly change let's say each 5 seconds, then asking for 1 second notifications may require more work from the OPC server (and the communication to the target system), but not on the OPC client side, because the client won't get to see the values that don't change. But the whole question is kind of distracting, because the subscruption rate should be dictated by the application needs and nothing else, so you really have not much free option here.

More
10 Aug 2012 20:34 #982 by stevedh
I'm a bit new to OPC but have a basic driver going using SubscribeMultipleItems, but I was hoping to get some guidance on how many points and at what update frequency I can expect this to work with. Ideally, I'd like to poll about 1000 points at least once a minute, but currently when I try anything more than about 20 it dies with an exception. My questions: - Would it better to split it up into a bunch of SubscribeMultipleItems calls? - Will the sample rate make any difference? That is, is 100 points at 10 second sampling the same as 10 points at 1 second sampling?I'm using the separate server option against a Schneider ION system, using local COM and a python process to do the polling.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds