Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

OPCData-COM WriteMultipleItems

More
28 Oct 2011 13:13 #586 by support
There really isn't any difference between supplying the constant values, or values taken from variables. I have extended the example to show just that, and the new complete project is attached to this post.
I also don't see anything inherently wrong with the code line you have sent, so if the new example does not help you, please provide more details about where does the exceptino occur, what kind of exception it is, and also a broader piece of your code.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2011 01:40 #574 by bcook@c3i-usa.com
I'd like a follow up example that shows how to use WriteMultipleItemValues where the values are pulled from variables rather than fixed values. I have been trying to get this function to work without success.

More
23 May 2011 15:10 #378 by support
R.,
The correct code is below.

Some notes:
1. When certain argument that is supposed to be an array contains same value for all elements, it can be passed as a single value. I have used this simplification with MachineNames and ServerClasses arguments. It would of course be possible to turn them into arrays as well.
2. The code has been tested with our simulation server. The 4th item is invalid, on purpose, to show how the error handling works and can be coded.
3. In methods that have “Multiple” in their names, no OPC-related errors will cause the whole method to fail – all such failures are reported on item level, by element in the Results array. The try/catch around isn’t therefore needed, at least not for this purpose.

I understand that there are very few examples in C++ and that coding this in C++ isn’t easy; this is not specific to our component but applies in general. I have no problem providing the C++ examples “on demand” for specific user issues.

Here is the code:

<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComVariant vMachineNames(OLESTR(""));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComVariant vServerClasses(OLESTR("OPCLabs.KitServer.2"));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComSafeArray saItemIds(4);
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saItemIds.SetAt(0, OLESTR("Simulation.Register_I4"));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saItemIds.SetAt(1, OLESTR("Simulation.Register_R8"));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saItemIds.SetAt(2, OLESTR("Simulation.Register_BSTR"));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saItemIds.SetAt(3, OLESTR("UnknownItem"));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComVariant vItemIds(saItemIds);
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComSafeArray saValues(4);
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saValues.SetAt(0, CComVariant(23456));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saValues.SetAt(1, CComVariant(2.34567890));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saValues.SetAt(2, CComVariant(OLESTR("ABC")));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saValues.SetAt(3, CComVariant(OLESTR("ABC")));
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComVariant vValues(saValues);
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    CComSafeArray saResults;
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    saResults.Attach(
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      m_EasyDAClientPtr->WriteMultipleItemValues(vMachineNames, vServerClasses, vItemIds, vValues).parray);
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    for (int i = saResults.GetLowerBound(); i <= saResults.GetUpperBound(); i++)
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    {
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      IOperationResultPtr OperationResultPtr;
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      saResults.pdispVal->QueryInterface(&OperationResultPtr);
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      if (OperationResultPtr->Succeeded)
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      {
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">        // Handle success here
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      }
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      else
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      {
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">        ICOMExceptionPtr COMExceptionPtr = OperationResultPtr->Exception;
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">        // Handle failure here: you can use properties such as COMExceptionPtr->HResult, COMExceptionPtr->Message.
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">      }
<span style="font-family: "Courier New"; font-size: 10pt">    }

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik

More
23 May 2011 15:09 #377 by support
<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt">From:<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt"> R.
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:10 PM
Subject: OPCData-COM WriteMultipleItems

Zbynek,

I have been working with a customer using OPCData-Com in VC++. He is trying to use the WriteMultipleItemValues. It only seems to write the first element of the array. I have reproduced his problem using the code he sent (attached) with our Top Server and some demo tags. We also looked at the diagnostics (attached) in the Top Server. It appears that the call is only sending one item. We have verified that it is not a problem with write access to the tag itself by switching the order of the tags- it still only writes to the first one.

Is this a bug, or are we missing something?

I have had a couple of requests from customer regarding proper use of the WriteMultipleItemValues method. Do you have an example of proper use of this is VC++ that you could send to me?

Thanks,
R.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds