Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

PHP - Behaviour when subscribing to non-existent tag

More
01 Feb 2011 22:56 #245 by steveh
Thanks.I wanted to be sure of the behaviour of the component before I went back to the third party DAS provider. Their DAS is leaking memory only when I subscribe to an item id that they do not recognise.Steve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2011 13:45 #242 by support
It is by design that you get a handle back, even when the OPC ItemID is not correct. This is the expected behavior:

You get a handle as normally, and you are supposed to work with it as normally (unsubscribe when you no longer need it).
You will receive an ItemChanged callback with error indication. The Exception object of "event arguments" will be filled with corresponding information; the error from the OPC server should be either OPC_E_UNKNOWNITEMID (0xC0040007) or OPC_E_INVALIDITEMID (0xC0040008).
After some period, the component will re-try with the same ItemID again. This is to allow for OPC servers that change their configuration over time. If this succeeds, you will start receiving ItemChanged callbacks for that item with the data obtained from the server.

You see, usually there is no extra handling needed in your code for "unrecognized items": All you do is that you subscribe, and then process the notifications, and they always give you the current status, and they will always keep trying to bring the in the data.
The component goes through the list of items that have failed in such way with a period that we call "Topic retrial period" (defaults to 1 minute). At that moment, items that have failed and have not been re-tried longer than a delay called "Topic retrial delay" (defaults to 5 minutes), will be scheduled for re-trial. With the defaults, if any previously failed items becomes available in the OPC server, it should come back to live in the component in (5+1) = 6 minutes or sooner. The periods and delays are configurable in the code, or through the EasyOPC-DA Options Utility.

More
01 Feb 2011 02:42 #240 by steveh
I have been chasing the cause of a slow memory leak in a third party DAS I am interfacing to with QuickOPC-COM. I am hoping you can assist me with this. Can you comment on how QuickOPC-COM would behave if my software uses QuickOPC-COM to subscribe to a tag that the connected DAS does not recognise?When I so subscribe, I do get a handle back.Thanks,Steve.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds