Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

QuickOPC-COM compatibility with 64-bit operating systems

More
24 Sep 2011 11:13 #498 by support

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in our products.

The short answer is yes.

List of supported operating systems, taken from the product documentation (the documentation is common for QuickOPC.NET and QuickOPC-COM, with differences marked up):
Operating Systems
The product is supported on following operating systems:
· Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 or later (x86)
· Microsoft Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 or later (x86 or x64)
· Microsoft Windows 7 (x86 or x64)
· Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 or later (x86 or x64)
· Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (x86 or x64)
· Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64), optionally with Service Pack 1

On x64 platforms, QuickOPC.NET can run in 32-bit or 64-bit mode.
QuickOPC.COM currently runs always in 32-bit mode, even on x64 platforms.

I should make it clear that since (by default) QuickOPC-COM runs in its own process, this process is 32-bit process, but it can communicate with both 32- and 64-bit processes using COM/DCOM normally.

Running on 64-bit systems is supported, but there are some common issues and configuration pitfalls (not related to QuickOPC, but generally to OPC and COM). There is a chapter in product documentation that deals with it. Here is the most important part:

OPC on 64-bit Systems
Classic OPC is based on Microsoft COM/DCOM, which has originally been designed for 32-bit world, and later ported to and enhanced for 64-bit systems. There are several issues with COM/DCOM on 64-bit systems and some additional issues specific to OPC.
The most notable issue is the fact that browsing for OPC servers does not always fully work between 32-bit and 64-bit worlds. This is because the OPCEnum component (provided by OPC Foundation) runs in 32-bit process and only enumerates 32-bit OPC servers. Consequently, native 64-bit OPC servers may be “invisible” for browsing from 32-bit OPC clients, although it is possible to connect to them, provided that the OPC client has OPC server’s ProgID or CLSID.

Let me know if you have further questions. If you were interested in “native” 64-bit QuickOPC-COM, let me know, too – this I something we have considered but is not yet in production.

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik, OPC Labs

Original Message
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 11:18 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: QuickOPC-COM

I would like to know if QuickOPC-COM is compatible with 64-bit operating systems. Submitted By: J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds