Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException (container not found)

More
28 Feb 2023 18:26 #11582 by support
Hello.

It still puzzles why the license change should have effect. But anyway, if they have not changed the version of the software, why were they swapping in a new license? And if this is really somehow related to the license (I do not believe it), why don't they swap in the old one back, at least to test it out?

Since it is a Windows Service, I can hypothesize that the issue can be related to permissions to the certificate stores (or their contents).

I assume they do not change the store locations from the code and they stay with the defaults? - please confirm.

Can they, just for test, switch the account under which the service running, to a normal user account?

And, before doing that, can they provide a directory of files and folders under "C:\ProgramData\OPC Foundation" - if that exists at all?

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2023 17:27 #11581 by gkalipershad
Hello,

Jdillon is unavailable today, but I am jumping in to keep this moving. The customer has an important demo they are doing in a few days, so this is higher priority for us.

They have confirmed that this is a Windows Service targeting .NET Framework. It is running under the Local System account (does not allow interaction with the desktop).

I wanted to add that they are using V5.61.241.1, which they were using with their old license file as an embedded resource. They swapped the license for the newer license file and that is when the issues began.

Now, the application works fine on their local development system and the error only manifests after deployment to a Server 2019 VM (10.0.17763 Build 17763).

Please let us know what additional information you might require.

GK

More
28 Feb 2023 13:19 #11577 by support
Hello,
yes, please find out whether the customer is using .NET Framework or .NET Core.

I understand that the problem appeared after "applying" a new license, but I do not see how the license could affect the problem. Wasn't is rather an upgrade of the software version itself that has triggered it?

Unfortunately, Microsoft message texts from the cryptography part often do not reflect the true cause of the problem. I suspect that "The requested key container was not found." also does not really mean what it says. And yes, it is most likely a problem different from the link you have also found.

I do not know the cause but we will try to narrow it down. Some additional questions:

1. What kind of application is the user project? (such as Windows Forms app, Console app, Windows service, Web app, Web service etc.).
2. Does it run under the normal user account (the interactive user), or under some other account?

Regards

More
27 Feb 2023 22:25 #11576 by jdillon@softwaretoolbox.com
Hello,

I have a customer who recently applied his newly upgraded Developer License via the Managed Resource.

Initially he received the following error:

*** Failure: Not allowed to run by the license "Multipurpose". You might be running a trial license, and the version of the software you are using is obsolete. Obtain a recent version to resolve this problem.
Product information follows. Component name: "QuickOPC", license IDs: "Multipurpose", version number: 561, release date: 6/9/2021, trial validity: 397 days, option expression: "EasyUAClient"

From this, I directed him to change the files Build Action (in properties) to embedded Resource.

This removed the license error but now we have the below errors:

2023-02-27 10:49:28,817 ERROR MLICore UAItemChangedEventHandlerST: NodeId="nsu=KEPServerEX ;ns=2;s=MLI Simulator.CNC Machine 3000.3000-StartButtonAccess" *** Failure: UA SDK error (System.Security.Cryptography.CryptographicException) in 'static Session.Create'. The requested key container was not found.

+ The client method called (or event/callback invoked) was 'DataChangeNotification'.

2023-02-27 10:49:30,996 ERROR MLICore UAItemChangedEventHandlerST: NodeId="nsu=KEPServerEX ;ns=2;s=MLI Simulator.CNC Machine 3000.3000-StartButtonAccess" *** Failure: OPC-UA client session is not available when connecting the client subscription.

+ The client method called (or event/callback invoked) was 'DataChangeNotification'.

I found your forums with a similar error here: www.opclabs.com/forum/ua-connections/3208-cryptographicexcep...en-connecting-to-opc-ua-server

Unfortunately it looks like our inner exception does not match the forums issue and I have not been able to find any forum related to the inner exception we are receiving.

I am confirming with the customer whether or not he is targeting .NET Core or .NET Framework since it seems that each use a different UA Stack.

What could cause this issue?

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds