Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Browse a specific MBUS Host

More
02 Mar 2011 15:10 #300 by immerse

OPC Labs Technical Support wrote:

Can you please review the current state of the thread forum so that it is clear what works and what does not, and contains all posts intended?

Oh, i edited the post, because I got further on and the questions was obsolete (why keep them). The main problem though, as you stated, was behind a missunderstand handling Items ("tags" not device). So instead of browsing properties, I have to browse for items - which method I have to search further.
Hmmm okey..
The opc server is simply talking "alias" to the client. Then match the alias in a plain csv/xml file, picking the corresponding channel-id and parent ip-address/mbustype/port as pointers for the communication against mbus?
I have to locate the opc-server settings (and what file it looks inside). The Quick OPC Bonus Demo application is finding all devices and can read their items. Much of the work behind, seems to be hided inside compilations, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2011 13:55 #299 by support
The OPC server, in your case, is an installation of executables, DLLs and other files on particular PC.
I know something about PiiGAB products, since our company worked with them. I think your are connecting your OPC server to an IP/MBus convertor that they produce, right? So, OPC clients should be able connect to this OPC server on your PC, and the OPC server in turn connects using IP to the convertor, and the convertor talks to MBus devices. To be absolutely sure, I suggest that you talk to PiiGAB about this - the other questions that you have are mainly for them, too. I suppose they will be willing to help - if not, let me know.
With regard to "The item is no longer available in server address space" error, this means that the ItemID used by the client is not known to the server. This may be a mistake on the client side - such as a typo in the ItemID, or simply bad understanding of how the ItemID should look like; or, it may be an indication that the configuration of the OPC server have changed, rendering some previously valid ItemIDs now invalid. Conversely, if they become valid again in the server, the OPC client should be able to connect to them; however, in QuickOPC, if the component already received this error, it will not re-try the same item for a configurable period ("Topic retrial delay", defaults to 5 minutes), so it may take some time to see the item working again.

More
02 Mar 2011 13:45 #298 by support
Hello,
somehow the posts in this thread are getting confused. For example, I have received a notificaion about your post, where you describe a success with BrowseNodes, and a piece of code. However this post of yours no longer appears here - instead, there is this one about a problem with BrowseProperties, and it looks like that it is referring to some earlier post which is also missing. It looks like that you might have pressed "Edit" instead of adding new posts? Can you please review the current state of the thread forum so that it is clear what works and what does not, and contains all posts intended?
Specific response to the code snippet you provided with BrowseProperties:

What error are you getting?
What is TypeDescriptor, in your example?
Why precisely are you trying to get to the OPC properties? (most information is available through OPC items; OPC properties may provide some additional data, but typically for special usages only).

Thank you

More
02 Mar 2011 09:45 #295 by immerse
I may also state (to above error) that this (partial) code isn't work due to same error message. The error itself appears on the prop = client.BrowseProperties-line. before this snippet it works nicely with BrowseNodes.
foreach (DANodeElement elm in nodes.Values)
{
prop = client.BrowseProperties(sd, elm.ItemId);
foreach (DAPropertyElement pelm in prop.Values)
ReadProperties(pelm);
}  

public static void ReadProperties(DAPropertyElement elm)
{
foreach (PropertyDescriptor prop in TypeDescriptor.GetProperties(elm))
Console.WriteLine("Name = {0} \t\t Value = {1}", prop.GetValue(elm), prop.Name);
}

More
02 Mar 2011 07:48 #294 by immerse
Thank's for reply.

I assume from your message that you already have a MBus OPC Server, capable of connecting to your target devices via IP - can you please confirm that this is the case?

This is correct. Two devices (one PadPuls and water-pulsmeter-card reads to an mbus). Technically, the equipment are setup ok, i presume, because i got communication with wizards.
[Edited]
Maybe the problem is contextual understanding?
What is a SERVER? Is a Server an installation of OPC dll's? That can held several mbus-systems (different customers)? We have n customers with n systems. I

There are a few steps that seems unclear to me.

1. I physically wire devices to an mbus, connect mbus to a network.
2. Sets an ip-address to mbus (usually a ip with webaccess through a firewall/router)
3. The OPC Server Wizard let me tell the ip of the mbus and connect to it & browse it's devices.
I don't get fully how the OPC Server are synchronize the physical devices? When are it happening (first time) and where do I change the settings? If I browse the devices (nodes) now, they will show up. But I can't change them anywhere? If I use MBUS Explorer/Server Monitoring, i got "Read Error...The item is no longer available in the server address space". It appears to me that addresses like that isn't able to change.

More
01 Mar 2011 16:55 #293 by support
Hello,
thanks for you rpost. I am not sure if I understand your question, but I will try to reply, and possibly ask some for some additional information to clarify things.
Yes, using QuickOPC assumes that you already have an OPC server, which is a software (kind of device driver) that facilitates connection to your device(s). I assume from your message that you already have a MBus OPC Server, capable of connecting to your target devices via IP - can you please confirm that this is the case?
If so, you can then use QuickOPC to connect to MBus OPC Server and retrieve data from it. In order to connect to the OPC server, you need to know two pieces of information:

The name of the computer where the OPC server is installed (can be empty string for local computer).
The so-called ProgID of the OPC Server (usually in form of vendor.servername.version, for example PiiGAB.MBusOPCServer).

The ProgID of the server should be listed in its documentation. It is also possible to obtain it by browsing for OPC servers on particular computer, and QuickOPC has functions for that, but hopefully you will not need it in your case (let me know if you still want to do that).
After connecting to the OPC Server, you can perform operations - such as reading, writing, or subscribing to information. For the most common operations, you will need to know so-called ItemIDs of pieces of data in the OPC server. The OPC server's documentation should contain an explanation of how the ItemIDs are constructed, because the syntax differs for each server (altough they commonly look something like Device.FunctionBlock.Tag, they can also look completely different...). If the ItemIDs are not known upfront, it is also possible to obtain them by browsing for OPC items, and again QuickOPC has functions for it. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.
Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik

More
01 Mar 2011 11:01 #292 by immerse
I've readed, as I can see, all of the howtos, documentations, help files and the bonus pack code samples (.NET 4 C#). As far as I understand, everything goes through the OPC Server, which identifies as a few installed DLL on a specific "local" Windows softwared machine. I'm not sure how pointing this type of service to my purpose.
I will use MBUS with Ethernet communication. I know the IP of the MBus (which physically can be anywhere in the world) and want to communicate against it, from my host (which can be a web page or a desktop app).
Any help of where to start, is of use,

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds