Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Version 2023.1 Browsing for OPC UA Items - Exception

More
26 Sep 2023 14:58 #12237 by support
Hello.

Thank you for letting me know. I am glad that it works now.
If you do not mind posting your latest .vbproj, I'd like to give it a check. Event though it works now, I am somewhat concerned about your statement of replacing 2022.1 references by 2023.1, since the *way* they are referenced is fundamentally different (assemblies versus packages). Depending on how you have done it, you may have ended up with a project file that appears to work but will have problems in the future, or with the fully correct version.

The issues with "GUI" components might be due to the known problem I described (Visual Studio 2022 revision unexpected breaking change), and should be resolved in next QuickOPC version.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2023 14:15 #12226 by micham
Hi,

I have upgraded my project again to version 2023.1 and now my project is working perfect. This time I did it a bit different:

1. I have replaced the GUI components to programmatic variables using Version 2022.1.
2. I have removed all 2022.1 references and replaced them by 2023.1 references.

Thank you for your support. You can see this as a closed issue.

Michael

More
25 Sep 2023 12:00 #12225 by support
In general, there are following things that need to be done to your project:

- switch to PackageReference
- make sure it does not reference assemblies or packages that it should *not* reference
- make sure that it does reference assemblies and package that it truly needs

Normally the above tasks can be safely managed from Visual Studio IDE. When this does not work well, as in your case, they can be managed by manually editing the .vbproj file. One should always keep in mind that it is the contents of the .vbproj file that truly matters. What you see in Visual Studio is just a view of it, and in some cases the view can be imprecise. So in problematic cases like this, manual review of .vbproj file is a must anyway.

Regards

More
25 Sep 2023 08:09 #12224 by support
Hello.

Same answer applies - the questions you are asking are general knowledge and not related specifically to QuickOPC, therefore in principle are out of scope of QuickOPC tech support.

I will, however, still look at, some time after return from my vacation. I will need your full project, not just the .vbproj file. If that is not possible due to legal concerns, you will be on your own.

Regards

More
24 Sep 2023 17:01 #12222 by micham
Hi,

One more thing.

See the differences between the properties of your EasyOpcUADemo and my project.

I don't see the the "OpcLabs.QuickOpc and OpcLabs.QuickOpc.Forms in my project...
On the other hand I do see the Opc.Ua*.* in my project....

Should I fix this? If yes, how?

Thank you.

Michael
Attachments:

More
24 Sep 2023 16:50 #12221 by micham
Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

See my answers below.
1) The same .vbproj file exists in the backup project using QuickOPC 2022.1 and everything works fine. So my conclusion is that something is wrong with version 2023.1.

2) General programming issues (you forget to instantiate an object with "New" - your sample project (F:\Program Files (x86)\OPC Labs QuickOPC 2023.1\Examples-NET\VBNET\VisualStudio\WindowsForms\EasyOpcUADemo) has a similar defining (without "New")... See below.
Friend WithEvents uaDataDialog1 As OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Forms.Browsing.UADataDialog

3) Your EasyOpcUADemo is loaded with errors. See below.

4) If my project is faulty why does it work with no problems with an earlier version of Quick OPC? (2022.1)

5) See the lates version of the project file.

File Attachment:

File Name: EBO_Browse.zip
File Size:6 KB

Thank you.

Michael
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2023 11:57 #12219 by support
Hello.

Your project behaves badly, most likely due to the terrible mess you have in the .vbproj file. I have had a closer look at it. You even made a reference to package "QuickOPC 1.0.0.5" - which is a fake package on nuget.org, not coming from us at all (www.nuget.org/packages/QuickOPC ). It can eve be malicious, nobody knows who is behind it. Of course this can cause all kinds of conflicts that have nothing to do with our own product. But this is just one example.

We do not commit to tech support, though we provide it at our best capacity, free of charge, to everybody. But this approach has its limits. What I am seeing from you that you contact me with every single issue at every single step you have, simply because you have a program that uses our library, even for general programming issues (you forget to instantiate an object with "New"), or Visual Studio/Microsoft issues, or lack of knowledge of thereof.

Regarding the problems with assembly loading: You need to understand that I have already identified the problem. It is because you project emits an assembly that is in mismatch with the binding redirects it also emits. This is where my task would normally end. It is your project that is faulty, and there are other resources at hand to resolve this kind of problem. I am only helping with it because I do not want to let you down.

This is not to say that there aren't issues in QuickOPC. But they are small part of what you contacting me with.

I will do some last attempts on this, trying to find an alternative approach for the fact the "Migrate...." command is not available. Can I assume that the .vbproj file you sent yesterday is the last version of it? In such case I will hand-edit it and send it back to you with more instructions, so that you can replace it in your solution.

Regards

More
22 Sep 2023 09:49 #12218 by micham
Hi ,
Thank you for your answer.
When I right click on the References node in the solution Explorer, I don't see the "Migrate packages.config to PackageReferenc" command.
See the screen capture below.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Michael
Attachments:

More
22 Sep 2023 08:19 #12217 by support
Hello.
Thank you for the new .vbproj file (via email).

I think the assemble references still need a big cleanup. Can you please do two things, in this order:

1. Switch the project to use “PackageReference”. This is the step described at the bottom of opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...87-655f-425e-bd77-4224baa9e9f0 . The expected result is that many explicit assembly references disappear, and will be replaced by references to QuickOPC NuGet packages.
2. Rebuild the project and retest. If it works, we are done. I do not actually think that just Steps 1-2 will resolve the issue, but there is a chance. If it still throws an error, continue to Step 3.
3. Send me the error is it giving now.
4. Save the project, and email me the new .vbproj file again.
5. I will review it, and most likely recommend to manually delete some unnecessary assembly references that might be causing the problem.

Regarding the missing components on VS Toolbox: When QuickOPC 2023.1 was released, it worked (and still works) well with Visual Studio 2022 revisions available AT THAT TIME.
Later, Microsoft has made a change in Visual Studio, which broke QuickOPC Toolbox items. We could not anticipate that, and I do not think anyone could. We know that Visual Studio 2022 revision 17.4.0 still works; the change occurred in some later revision.
We are aware of it, but it is not an easy fix. In fact, that is a great understatement. As innocuous it may look, it requires big effort to make things working again, triggering change to QuickOPC assembly structure and many other things. I am already working for several weeks on just making this work again. Given the scope of changes, it cannot be a “patch” (revision) on top of version 2023.1. It will need a new version 2023.2.
Also note that VS 2022 installer allows you to go back to specific VS revisions relatively easily, so doing that is another workaround/option, but I do not think it is worth doing at the moment, because the VS toolbox problem is not related to your assembly loading problem.
As annoying it is, it is not a showstopping problem, because dragging the item from the toolbox adds approx. 3 lines, all fairly obvious, to your code, which can also be added manually, so there is a workaround.

Regards
Zbynek Zahradnik

More
22 Sep 2023 05:18 #12214 by micham

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds