Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Write Not Complete Errors

More
02 Mar 2011 13:35 #297 by support
The updated build (5.04.102.1) is now available from the download area.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2011 13:31 #296 by support
<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">From:<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> W.
Sent: Monday, February 28, 2011 2:30 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: RE: Write Not Complete Errors

Hello Zbynek,

I am in no rush for the new build. The workaround is working fine for them. Currently the OPC Server is shutting down properly as they expect. I have told them the Write Not Complete errors are not the fault of our component and we cannot eliminate these errors. In my mind we have resolved the customers problem.

When you have the new build ready let me know.

Thanks,

<span style="font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; color: #1f497d; font-size: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">W.

More
26 Feb 2011 06:44 #291 by support
I should also add that I have a fix ready internally that should make the workaround unnecessary. I have not made an updated build yet, in case more changes are needed. Let me know if/when you want the fixed build..

<span style="font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; color: #1f497d; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-themecolor: dark2; mso-no-proof: yes">Zbynek Zahradnik

More
26 Feb 2011 06:42 #290 by support
W.,

I have correlated the traces, and yes, the “Write not complete” errors appear whenever the operation takes longer than usual (over 1 second in first 3 instances; not so significant in last instance). And, the timeout for “Write not complete” measures more than just the time from the OPC Write call to the OnWriteComplete callback – it includes most of internal component processing as well.

In general, if they indeed have the timeout set to a value like 1 second or similarly low, that in my view is inappropriately low under almost any circumstances. If, for example, the app code started with simply doing the Write, it might be that the component has to start the server as well and/or do other preparatory operations – all of that is measured into the write operation timeout.

Best regard,
<span style="font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; color: #1f497d; font-size: 10pt">Zbynek Zahradnik

More
26 Feb 2011 06:41 #289 by support
<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt">From:<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt"> W.
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:12 PM

Hello Zbynek,

Please find attached the latest log files. The good news is the Group is staying connected and even with timeouts the OPC Server will now allow us to disconnect. They are still reporting timeouts but I think it is because the timeout is only at 1 second. I need to confirm what their timeout setting is. I am trying to also confirm if they are happy with the current resolution and if this will allow them to continue forward.

Thanks,
<span style="font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; color: #1f497d; font-size: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">W.
<span style="font-family: "Calibri","sans-serif"; color: #1f497d; font-size: 11pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">[attachments removed for privacy]

More
26 Feb 2011 06:41 #288 by support
W.,

I think that the premature removal of groups/items should indeed be taken care of by the workaround. Therefore it looks like that there is yet another reason for these timeouts. The diagnostics trace at this stage is almost necessary.

Best regards,
<span style="font-family: "Arial","sans-serif"; color: #1f497d; font-size: 10pt">Zbynek Zahradnik

More
26 Feb 2011 06:40 #287 by support

Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:30 PM

Hello Zbynek,

The customer tried the mentioned fix without any good results. I did not have them capture diagnostics to see if the group stayed active. I will see if they can send me diagnostics.

“We implemented the fix in the form_load event. However the frequency of time out did not reduced. The timeout occured immediately in few secs.”

W.

More
21 Feb 2011 14:45 #285 by support
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 3:30 PM

Hello Zbynek,

I am going to pass this to the customer and see if it resolves the timeout problems.

Thanks,

W.

More
21 Feb 2011 11:00 #284 by support

W.,

I was able to reproduce the problem that the item/group is removed shortly after the Write. It is a bug that needs to be fixed, but I need to do it carefully, and it may take some days before the updated build is available.

There is, however, a simple workaround that should make the customer happy in no time: Set the “Write automatic update rate” to anything that is not “infinite” – but could be very long. For example, in the example provided, add following line to the frmMain_Load method to set that update rate to 1 hour:

EasyDA.UpdateRates.WriteAutomatic = 60 * 60 * 1000

Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik

More
21 Feb 2011 08:49 #283 by support
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:15 PM

Hello Zbynek,

Below is the link to the OPC Analyzer version that we captured the trace with. Attached is the Analyzer trace and their internal log that logs the WriteNotComplete message with corresponding Time Stamp. It appears the OnWriteComplete occurs after the group is removed which causes the error. I am guessing that if we could keep the Group attached to the server we would avoid the problems at the server level. I have attached a second trace (VBNET_01.zip) where it shows more than one write and the removal and adding of groups for each write.

I hope this helps you investigate the issue. If you require further information let me know.

[links and attachments removed for privacy]

Thanks,

W.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds