Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Deployment without License install

More
28 Mar 2013 16:46 - 28 Mar 2013 16:52 #1256 by arahming
•The full build number of QuickOPC 5.21 (e.g. from 1st page of the installation program)
yes

•Does QuickOPC work correctly when you use the installer on the target machine? (I understand the answer is Yes here? - need confirmation)
yes
•If you do not use the installer on the target machine, which C++ runtime are you installing
yo

the step I took for this test

1. install reg key and try to run executable <--- nothing happens
2. install full build of QuickOPC 5.21 --> check licnses manager lic is present --> run executable --> the program runs
3. uninstall QuickOPC 5.21 from add remove programs --> run executable --> nothing happens
4. install reg key again and try to run executable <-- nothing happens
5. reinstall full build of QuickOPC 5.21 --> run executable -- the program opens

I have verified as shown in the attached bmp files that the runtimes are the same during all the testing

bmp can not seem to insert

I am using 2005 re
2008 re x86 9.0.2.1022/9.0.30729.17/9.0.30729.4148/9.0.30729.6161
2010 10.0.30319
J# .net 1.1
J# 2.0
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 16:52 by arahming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2013 16:34 #1255 by zbynekz
Hello. I do not see any picture attached. And I have not found an answer to any of my questions. Can you please attach the missing picture, and also answer my questions, without it I cannot help you. Here they are again:
  • The full build number of QuickOPC 5.21 (e.g. from 1st page of the installation program)
  • Does QuickOPC work correctly when you use the installer on the target machine? (I understand the answer is Yes here? - need confirmation)
  • If you do not use the installer on the target machine, which C++ runtime are you installing
  • yo
urself? (URL please).

And additional questions:
  1. When you say "I install license manager", what precisely do you do? Are you running the QuickOPC installation in the "Express" mode, effectively installing not only the License Manager, but also the rest of QuickOPC? Or are you installing it choosing a Custom installation type and selecting just the License Manager? Or how?
  2. What is your main problem? Is it that you cannot get your program to run withoutt "installing the license manager", or is it that, if I understand it well, the uninstallation of QuickOPC breaks the app?
Note that the installation puts QuickOPC assemblies into the Global Assembly Cache (GAC). If you build your app, then usually Visual Studio will realize that the assemblies are in the GAC, and does NOT copy them alongside your app's EXE. But when you distribute your application, you should distribute the QuickOPC assemblies as well, and put them either alongside your app's EXE, or into the GAC. If you do not put them alongside your app's EXE, then with QuickOPC installed, your app will work because they will be found in the GAC; QuickOPC uninstallation will then break any app relying on these GAC assemblies, because the uninstallation removes them. This might be obvious but I wanted to mention it anyway, because the symptoms would be close to what you are describing.

Thank you

More
28 Mar 2013 15:23 #1254 by arahming
Attached is a picture of the program with the OPCData Client 5.21 when I install the license manager it works fine. when I unistall the program it does not work at all. I have also installed the *.reg file incase that was removed during installation. all runtimes are the same the problem seems to be the license manager not being present. I have again also created the simple test app that has nothing but the dataclient programs on a windows form and it will not open unless the lisense manager is present. I have followed the directions for this type of install and renee has stated that it has worked in the past with the older build before 5.21. if you use the test app below I am sure you will see the same occurances. launch the *.exe and it will not open the windows form if you uninstall the OPCDATA Client program even with all the runtimes and the registery keys... thanks for your assistance.

More
28 Mar 2013 06:37 #1253 by zbynekz
Hello. I am sorry but I do not fully the nature of the problem at the moment. Can you please clarify:
  • The full build number of QuickOPC 5.21 (e.g. from 1st page of the installation program)
  • Does QuickOPC work correctly when you use the installer on the target machine?
  • If you do not use the installer on the target machine, which C++ runtime are you installing yourself? (URL please).
Thank you

More
27 Mar 2013 21:47 #1251 by arahming
I have installed the latest version of OPC Labs 5.21 and have the correct C++ runtime. Anyways the install of OPC Data net will install a runtime if it does not exist when I uninstall the license manager it does not uninstall the runtime and the product still does not work... I would like to complete this project as I am holding up the rest of my team who are doing the server portion of this solution

More
26 Mar 2013 17:02 #1249 by support
Alright, I assumed that when you asked about the license and License Manager, that the problem is in the licensing area.

But it isn't.

If the problem was with the license, the symptoms would be quite different: Your program will run, and after 30 minutes, you will get an exception indicating the the trial runtime is over.

Have you followed the "Application Deployment" instructions from the Concepts document? There are some pre-requisites that must be installed; such as Microsoft Visual C++ runtime libraries. Those installers come directly from Microsoft, but they are truly requird - there is no way you can run just your app on a clean system.

The actual versions of what's needed depend on the version and build of QuickOPC. If you were using version 5.20, for example, the MS runtimes have changed in version 5.21. And, just recently we have made a change to back-support Windows XP, based on new libraries that Microsoft has released, and that means a different MS installer too. The correct should always, be, however, in the Concepts document that gets installed with the version and buid you are using.

More
26 Mar 2013 16:16 - 26 Mar 2013 16:17 #1248 by arahming
I have created this programmatically using VS C# 2010 and have also exported the key and imported it manually on two test computers on windows 2003 server the other windows xp SP3. In both instances the program will not open until I installed the license manager. Renee suggests that a bug may have been introduced with the new 5.21 build. I would go ahead and create and installable package but as the application I developed is to retrieve OPC data and put it into a database. Because our assets are NERC restricted it would be inconvenient to prepare a CMR and wait a week for approval every time we would use the program.

Attached is another win form I created to test; it is absolutely nothing but a form with the easyDA client and browse imbedded. When I add the reg key it does not open when I install the license manager it opens when I uninstall the license manager it no longer opens
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 16:17 by arahming.

More
26 Mar 2013 09:12 - 26 Mar 2013 09:17 #1247 by support
You do not necessarily need the License Manager. This document (licensed users only) describes how to do it.

The document talks in terms of installation program, but if you like, you can make the same actions at the beginning of your application instad. Just make sure they are done before you use any of the QuickOPC types. Note that admin rights may be necessary to modify the registry.

The license information, as stored on the computer, is cryptographically protected against modification. That is, one cannot change e.g. the Subject (licensee) name, without invalidating it. The purpose of having it stored the way it is is twofold:
  • It can be easily determined whether licensed QuickOPC is being used on the particular computer or not.
  • If it is used, it can be determined where the license "comes from" (which license it is).
Best regards
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 09:17 by support.

More
25 Mar 2013 18:32 #1246 by arahming
I have created a C# .net application that uses OPC Labs software as a client. due to NERC restrictions I want this application to run without an install which it does as long as I install the license manager. is there anyway to run the program without the license manager I do not understand the concept of the licnese manager anyways due to the fact you will pack it with your software and a copy of the reg key or the bin file

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds