Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

QuickOPC-COM and Reconnecting

More
05 Aug 2011 11:38 #450 by support
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2011 5:34 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: ....

Hello Zybnek,

[...] the [...] customer [...] was doing multithreading and believes the last problems were in his application as we thought.

W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2011 13:27 #442 by support

Win,

No, I haven’t seen this behavior. The problem description is, however, still more user-oriented rather than developer-oriented. If the customer’s application appears “hung”, and he is developing it, he should be able to figure out where it is hung – the actual method call.

If it appears hung on creation of EasyDAClient object, then it would point towards a bug (some kind of deadlock) in the component. If it is hung in other methods calls (such as ReadItemValue), it could be waiting before a timeout occurs.

More
31 Jul 2011 13:22 #441 by support
<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">From:<span style="font-family: "Tahoma","sans-serif"; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"> W.
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2011 3:53 PM
Subject: RE: DataCOM and Reconnecting

Hello Zbynek,

Sorry for the poor level of detail I sent. The customer clarified it for me.

<span style="font-family: "Microsoft Sans Serif","sans-serif"; color: black; font-size: 8.5pt">When I restart the application, the screen never appears - It is almost as if it is hung up somewhere. But when I kill eopcdal.exe and then run it, the screen comes right up.

Have you seen any behavior like this in the past.

Thanks,

More
29 Jul 2011 08:06 #440 by support
Hello W.,

With regard to CSingleLock, I can only tell that if the code had a synchronization bug, then of course it could have caused various crashes. I cannot tell if this was the cause or not.

Killing “eopcdal.exe” should not be necessary – if it is, something is wrong. I do not understand, however, what is meant by “I could not restart the application”. What were the symptoms?

More
29 Jul 2011 07:56 #439 by support
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:28 PM

Hello Zbynek,

I just heard back from the customer and he has a question. He is asking about the eopcdal.exe. Let me know if you have any feedback on this.

Thanks for the info. I did make a change yesterday having to do with the CSingleLock stuff because I remembered in the past having an issue with the MFC lock stuff. I was using it slightly differently in the alive thread than we use it in other places, so I changed it to be exactly like the other places. I installed this change on our prototype machine and our production machine yesterday and it has not crashed since. So we will keep our fingers crossed that that took care of the problem.

One notable observation is that when it did crash, I could not restart the application without first killing the "eopcdal.exe" task. Any ideas on that?

W.

More
29 Jul 2011 07:54 #438 by support
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 4:25 PM

Hello Zbynek,

I will pass this information to the end user and see if he can follow any of our recommendations.

Thanks,

More
28 Jul 2011 08:56 #432 by support
W.,

The easiest way to troubleshoot this would be to build the application in Debug configuration, and let it run under debugger. If it crashes, collect as much information available – and specifically, where it has crashed, and the call stack of the executing thread (or other relevant threads). If the problem is access violation (such as dereferencing an invalid pointer), then also at look values of pointers used at moment of the crash.

The crash message is coming from MSVCR90.DLL, which is Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library for Visual Studio 2008. This implies that it is coming from the user’s code, because QuickOPC-COM (OPCData-COM) is built using Visual Studio 2010 since version 5.01; and of course, in addition, if the component is indeed running out-of-process, a crash of the user’s application cannot be directly caused by that other process. It likely that there is some bug or at least incomplete error checking in the user’s code. I have inspected the code visually and could not spot it, but I believe it is there.

More
28 Jul 2011 08:31 #431 by support
Sent: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:34 PM

Hello Zbynek,

The customer had another crash last night. Attached are the errors and his code. His code does the following every second.

Read ValueA, Write ValueB, Write ValueC, Sleep for 1 second

What information do you want from me to troubleshoot this crash?

Thanks,

W.
[for privacy, attachment containing the source code is not included]

More
15 Jul 2011 06:38 #425 by support
W.,

An upgrade to latest build in that major version (5.02.455.1) would not harm, but I actually do not see any compelling reason to upgrade, with the current knowledge of the problem.

Regards,

More
15 Jul 2011 06:31 #424 by support
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:47 PM

Hello Zbynek,

Unfortunately the customer cannot give me steps to reproduce the problem. He has tried the steps you did and everything reconnects correctly. Under certain circumstances (which we don’t know) he will get this failure. Or in the last email I sent you he actually saw a crash in a Microsoft DLL.

I have asked him to turn on the OPC Diagnostics in the TOP Server tonight. If a failure occurs it is critical we see where it is failing.

Also he is using v5.1.274. Should I have him upgrade? If so which version should he be using?

Thanks,

W.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds