Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Excel RTD - Data Refreshing stops for 5 seconds

More
13 Nov 2019 14:19 #7969 by support
Thank you.

It is possible that .NET garbage collector may have something to do with this - or possibly not, but we should rule it out first. Please

I am sorry that I have to "task" you again, but there is hardly any other way, unless we get to reproduce the issue on our computer. Basically, I'd like you to run the Performance Monitor tool (included with Windows). I am not sure whether/how you are accustomed to work with it - it's not hard, and there are plenty of materials on the Web to explain.

If you could please use PERFMON to observe the process (in this case, it will be the Excel process), and its GC-related characteristics, and figure out whether there isn't a correlation between .NET GC collections, and the periods of the high CPU usage. The related counters are mainly under ".NET CLR Memory": # Gen n Collections, % Time in GC, # Bytes in all Heaps, #GC Handles etc. Other .NET counters in other groups may be interesting as well, and the CPU consumption.

Seeing the chart of "Gen ... Collections" counter (a screenshot, or send me a data capture file form PERFMON) would allow me to determine whether the .NET garbage collector might be responsible for the pauses.

If you need instructions that are more "step by step", I can work on that too.

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2019 16:11 #7964 by Enrico
Hi,

the video is smaller than the other ones. No clue what is different with the video. But I can explain.

Yes at the same time, when Excel is in 'overload' condition also the connectivity Explorer is.

Yes the GUI was very slow, any control took several seconds. The responsitivity was too slow to work with the connectivity Explorer.

Thanks for taking care!

Ciao Enrico

More
12 Nov 2019 14:47 #7963 by support
Hello,
how big is the Connectivity Explorer video? I may have to increase the maximum allowed size, if it is big.

Was the "irresponsivenes" of Connectivity Explorer at the same moment as that of Excel, or were they generally at different times?
When you write "Impossible to be used", is it meant to say that also the user interface of Connectivity Explorer was irresponsive (e.g. you could work with its controls)?

Thank you

More
12 Nov 2019 09:22 #7960 by Enrico
I'm having difficulties in attaching the video of the connectivity explorer. I have no ideas why, because, it has been recorded with the same tool. What ever, the connectivity explorer was as responsive as Excel, in the order of multiple seconds. Impossible to be used.

More
12 Nov 2019 09:12 #7959 by Enrico
Hi,

thanks for given me the instructions. Nice to see, that we can also aquire 'quality data' and 'error messages'. This will be helpful for other investigations.

As you have been asking me, I have implemented quality and error subscritptions to all the data nodes we have been subscribed.

I have recorded a Video. As you can see, the iimplementation of all the subscribtions has worsen the Situation, but there are no error Messages, and the quality is 'good' for all data nodes.

As requested I also observed the behaviour of the connectivity explorer. Also here I recorded a video. It is stuck like Excel. I wasn't really able to add some data nodes.

Then I recorded the ressource monitor of Windows. One of the cores is at his Limits.

Then I recorded the UA Expert to show that the data come in as expected.

Let me know, if some futher Investigation is needed from my side.

Thanks iin Advance

Ciao Enrico
Attachments:

MicrosoftE..._CUT.mp4

Ressourcen...2_30.mp4

UnifiedAut...8_30.mp4

More
11 Nov 2019 14:26 #7956 by support
Hello,
thank you for the additional information.

Obviously, there is no absolute guarantee of the refresh rate, on Windows. But the somewhat long "pauses" seen on the video are suspicious, I agree, so we will investigate them.

I am sorry but I have to bother you with additional tests, so that we can decide well. I would like you to do the following: For some of the variables you are monitoring, also add the StatusCode and ErrorMessage to your Excel sheets. Please see the attached picture. basically, instead of drag-and-dropping a cell from Value column to your Excel sheet, you would drag-and-drop also the cells under the StatusCode and ErrorMessage columns (the picture I used is from OPC "Classic", where instead of StatusCode there is Quality - but you get the idea).

Then, test that these actually work - e.g. by disconnecting the communication - some actual error text should appear in your Excel sheet.
And then, test again your "normal scenario", and observe whether during the "pauses", the StatusCode remains Good and the ErrorMessage remains blank, or whether some interesting change appears there during the "pauses".

In an additional test, can you please run the Connectivity Explorer *together* with your Excel sheet, and check whether 1) there are any "pauses" in Connectivity Explorer as well, and if so, 2) if they happen in a "synchronized way" with your Excel sheet.

Best regards
Attachments:

More
10 Nov 2019 16:47 #7953 by Enrico
Hi,
could you give more instructions on where to subsscribe to the error messages.

Ciao Enrico

More
10 Nov 2019 16:44 #7952 by Enrico
Hi,

I have attached a video from the Excel-Application. The effect can be seen quite clearly. The data nodes are from different sources, all stop at the same time with the refreshing.
Attachments:

MicrosoftE...1-10.mp4

More
04 Nov 2019 07:42 #7908 by support
Hello,
thanks for answers.

For further troubleshooting, it is really important that you also subscribe to the error message. We must know whether there is an error during these 5 seconds or so, and if so, what precisely the error is.

Best regards

More
01 Nov 2019 13:30 #7906 by Enrico
Hi,

thanks for your quick response and taking care!

Concerning your question:
1) Security level is - None
2) No, we only have subscribed to data nodes
3) The whole excel seems to be frozen, as far as I can see all values are affected
4) Indeed, we are connected to more than one OPC Server. I haven't specifically monitored if the values from the servers behave differently. We have one server with 'quick' data changes (5 Hz) where we can see the freezing. The other server have a rather low data change rate, a freezing would be hard to recognize. But at least for one of the slow data server I could implement a quick counter that would help to see what is happening there. Unfortunately I will not have the chance to do that, before next Thursday or even Friday. But as soon as I have an answer to your question I will get back to you and let you know.

Regards

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds