Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Large amount of reconnections in a short time

More
20 Feb 2024 17:34 #12555 by support
Examples for OPC client and subscriber development in Python are now on GitHub: github.com/OPCLabs/Examples-QuickOPC-Python .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2024 07:31 #12525 by support
Hello.

It is not clear why you are setting Isolated = True. This is causing separate sessions to be made to the server, and then of course each of these sessions makes its own reconnection.

Other notes:
- We do not officially support such an old version. Will try to help anyway, but it has its limits.
- The current version supports much nicer interface from Python, using Python.NET.

Best regards

More
21 Jan 2024 16:33 #12524 by dvrstrae
Hi,I am using QuickOPC 2018.3, in particular the OPC-UA client functionality through COM from Python, to connect to a Siemens S7 OPC-UA server (using username/password authentication). See below for the code of the client class. I instantiate two such client objects, one of which reads and writes a tag once every 5 seconds, and one which reads a couple of tags (less than 10) once every minute. As you can see, even in case of failure of read or write, I wait 5 seconds before retrying. I am not adjusting any other QuickOPC default settings like timeouts, retry or keep alive.

This code works fine for about 30 to 45 minutes, after which suddenly very many connections are being made (about 12 per second), and eventually causing the Siemens S7 core to crash. I have a snippet of the Siemens OPC-UA server log where you can see this occur between 15:15:49.588 and 16:07:49.737. For some reason I cannot attach it to this message so I uploaded it to wetransfer: here . I have confirmed that it is indeed my client creating these connections.

My questions are:-
Is this a known issue with this or later versions of QuickOPC?
- Do you see anything in the way I use QuickOPC which could cause this behaviour?

Any ideas are very welcome. If I can provide additional info please let me know.

Kind regards.

class OPCUAClient:
    """OPC UA Client"""

def __init__(self, server, username=opcua_username, password=opcua_password):
    """Initialize OPC UA client"""
    self.server = server
    self.client = None
    self.init_client(username, password)

def init_client(self, username=opcua_username, password=opcua_password):
    """Initialize the OPC-UA client"""
    self.client = win32com.client.Dispatch("OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.EasyUAClient")
    if username and password:
    self.client.Isolated = True
identity = self.client.IsolatedParameters.SessionParameters.UserIdentity
identity.UserNameTokenInfo.UserName = username
identity.UserNameTokenInfo.password = password

def convert_to_tag(self, plant, item):
    """Convert plant name and OPC item to tag string"""
tag = C.TAG_PREFIX
    if plant:
tag += "%s_" % C.PLANT_TAGS.get(plant)
tag += "%s" % item
    return str(tag)

@retry(stop_max_attempt_number=3, wait_fixed=5000)
    def read(self, name, tag_item):
    """Read OPC tags from server."""
    if not self.client:
    self.init_client()

tag_name = self.convert_to_tag(name, tag_item)
    try:
value = self.client.ReadValue(self.server, tag_name)
    return value
    except Exception as ex:
ex.message = "Failed to read OPC tag '%s': %s" % (tag_name, ex)
    raise

@retry(stop_max_attempt_number=3, wait_fixed=5000)
    def write(self, name, tag_item, tag_value):
    """Write value to OPC tag"""
    if not self.client:
    self.init_client()

tag_name = self.convert_to_tag(name, tag_item)
    try:
    self.client.WriteValue(self.server, tag_name, tag_value)
    except Exception as ex:
ex.message = "Failed to write OPC value for '%s': %s" % (tag_name, ex)
    raise

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds