Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Unable to read Array with KEPServer EX 6 and AB Logix

More
31 Mar 2024 10:47 #12705 by MaxDeVos
The only way to read the whole array is by explicitly defining the length of the array and reading from zero, as though you were looking to select a subset of it. KEPServerEX seemingly does not have the ability to determine the array size.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2024 08:00 #12704 by support
Many thanks @MaxDeVos, this may be really helpful.

The OP has, however, searched for reading the whole array, while the syntaxes are mainly for extracting array elements. But there are also provisions for extracting a range of elements, so perhaps that can be used.

Thanks again

More
30 Mar 2024 13:55 #12703 by MaxDeVos

I selected GLOBAL and MyBoolArray tag isn't there. i tried to created it but it won't keep ''Boolean array'' as Data type... It changes It to Boolean as pictured

You have to use some bizarre KEP-specific syntax which is hidden away in the help menu of the KEPServerEX configuration client1. Said documentation, if you can find it at all, is fully concerned with arrays of 2 or more dimensions, which if I had to guess, represents <0.001% of use cases. I've consolidated the useful information into a table for you (and whoever else is in this situation in the future)

1 - I've found that the internal help menu is, far and away, the greatest resource that exists for KEPServerEX. It's riddled with typos and has tons of outright wrong information in it, but it's the most coherent collection of info that exists. You can access it at any time by pressing F1.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: support

More
22 Mar 2024 20:05 - 22 Mar 2024 20:09 #12678 by support
Hello.

I think there is a simple OPC client (interactive GUI) coming with KepServerEX. Can you make it work with it? If not, I think it would be safe to say it is not actually supported by Kepware.
If you can get it work with their client, please send screenshots that would allow me to understand how you reached that state - we certainly should be able to replicate it using our components as well, then.

Best regards
Last edit: 22 Mar 2024 20:09 by support.

More
22 Mar 2024 14:59 #12674 by glwalsh
I selected GLOBAL and MyBoolArray tag isn't there:

i tried to created it but it won't keep ''Boolean array'' as Data type... It changes It to Boolean as pictured

More
22 Mar 2024 13:30 - 22 Mar 2024 13:31 #12673 by support
Hello.

I am not sure if the OPC item (tag) name for the whole array actually is "Channel2.MyPLC.Global.MyBoolArray_x". This is the name for the OPC branch ("folder") holding the elements. It can also be the name for the whole array, but not necessarily.

Please do this:

Select KepServerEX configuration, in the tree on the left, select one level above what is on the screenshot - i.e., select the "Global" node. Post a screenshot of it if possible.

Then, have a look at the list in right pane of the window. Is something like MyBoolArray there? And what is its precise name?

Best regards
Last edit: 22 Mar 2024 13:31 by support.

More
22 Mar 2024 13:18 #12672 by glwalsh
Hello,

I'm unable to read an array of bool using ReadItemValue. I can read one value of the array at the time but can't read the full array.

According to the documentation it is supposed to work... Is this feature not supported with KEPServer?

My code

var client = new EasyDAClient();
bool[] value = (bool[])client.ReadItemValue("", "KEPware.KEPServerEx.V6", "Channel2.MyPLC.Global.MyBoolArray_x");

from KEPServer log :
Channel2.MyPLC | Unable to read tag. | Tag address = 'GLOBAL.MYBOOLARRAY_X', CIP error = 0X4, Extended error = 0000.

Thanks !

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds