Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

ReadMultipleItems Method

More
12 Jan 2013 09:43 #1166 by support
What you have done is a good solution, as long as the string format returned by DAVtq.ValueToString is suitable for you.
The Vtq.Value is generally an 'object', i.e. it can be of any type. The actual type depends on the OPC Server and the particular OPC item (and, on the RequestedDataType that you can specify when reading or subscribing). More information to this is e.g. in the Concepts document, "9.13 Data Types":

OPC Data Access specification is based on COM, and uses Windows VARIANT type (from COM Automation) for representing data values.
Note: Some OPC servers even use certain VARIANT types that are not officially supported by Microsoft.
Microsoft .NET Framework has a different concept, and all data is represented using an Object type. Conversions between the two are available, but not always fully possible.
In addition, not everything that can be stored in an Object can later be processed by all .NET tools and languages. Microsoft has created so-called Common Language Specification (CLS), which has certain rules and restrictions that, if followed, guarantee cross-language compatibility. Public QuickOPC.NET components (assemblies) are fully CLS compliant, and that includes the way the data types are converted to and from OPC types.
QuickOPC.NET converts data from COM to .NET according to following table:

COM type (VARIANT)

.NET type (Object)

VT_EMPTY

System.Object (null reference)

VT_NULL

System.DBNull (singleton class)

VT_I2

System.Int16

VT_I4

System.Int32

VT_R4

System.Single

VT_R8

System.Double

VT_CY

System.Decimal

VT_DATE

System.DateTime

VT_BSTR

System.String

VT_DISPATCH

System.Object (not tested)

VT_ERROR

System.Int32

VT_BOOL

System.Boolean

VT_VARIANT

converted type of the target VARIANT

VT_DECIMAL

System.Decimal

VT_I1

System.Int16

VT_UI1

System.Byte

VT_UI2

System.Int32

VT_UI4

System.Int64

VT_I8

System.Int64

VT_UI8

System.Decimal

VT_INT

System.Int32

VT_UINT

System.Int64

VT_ARRAY | vtElement

System.Array of the converted vtElement type

Types that are highlighted do not convert from COM to their “natural” .NET counterparts, because the corresponding .NET type is not CLS compliant. Instead, a “wider” type that is CLS compliant is chosen.
Types not listed in the above table at all are not supported.
Strings are internally represented in Unicode wherever possible.

BTW, it looks like that the Live Binding feature (available in version 5.20) could be a good fit for you. With Live Binding, you can set up Windows Forms controls to be "bound" to OPC data, simply by configuring it in VS Designer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2013 15:42 #1149 by alissonhaubert
Good afternoon, I would like to do it this way so no need to create a condition for each text field, even found a way to do this, but have not found the ideal, because today I'm trying to leave my system as light as possible because we're having some problems with slowness. The way I found that worked was the following, you know a better method?
Label1.Text = leitura[6].Exception == null ? leitura[6].Vtq.ValueToString() : "***";
another question, what format is the return value of Vtq.Value? Double, Decimal, Float?
I thank you for understanding.
Att Alisson R. S. Haubert.

More
10 Jan 2013 14:13 #1147 by support
Hello,
I am a bit puzzled by the question, because the answer seems obvious to me: If you want "something" be displayed in the text box in case the actual value is null, use an 'if'-then-else' statement, test the value for null, and if it is null, store the required "something" into the text box instead of converting the value to string.
If I misunderstood the question, let me know.
Kind regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik

More
10 Jan 2013 10:32 #1146 by alissonhaubert
Good tip, but I still can not do what I want, for example, I have a textbox where the text is vtq.value, as the quality is bad when it is null the application ends up giving error, you have some idea what can I do to pass a value in place of vtq.value if the exception is different from zero?
Below is how I'm trying to do:

DAVtqResult[] leitura = EasyDAClient.DefaultInstance.ReadMultipleItems("CoDeSys.OPC.02", new DAItemDescriptor[]
{ "PLC1:.xI_TBN_ValvBorbFechada",
"PLC1:.xI_TBN_ValvBorbAberta",
});

for (int i = 0; i < leitura.Length; i++)
{
if (leitura.Exception != null)
{
leitura.Vtq.Value = 000;
}
}
//and I pass the textbox value vtq.value
TextBox1.Text = leitura[1].Vtq.Value.ToString();

More
09 Jan 2013 18:19 #1145 by support
Hello.
Each of the result objects in the result array has an Exception property. This property contains a null reference if there was no error, or it contains a non-null Exception-derived object with the error details, if there has been an error related to that position in the input (output) array. You can test the Exception property for being null (or not null), which is quite efficient (compared to throwing/catching).
If Exception is null (no error), then Vtq is non-null, so there is no need to test the Vtq then. But beware - Vtq.Value can STILL be null, if if Vtq.Quality is Bad or Uncertain.
Best regards

More
09 Jan 2013 17:50 #1144 by alissonhaubert
another thing ...
opc if you can not find a variable I want to pass a value to it, because when he does not find a variable it crashes my application and that's not good for me, I wish that when a variable was not set to be read one default value for that position in the array
I'm trying to do it this way, but is not working, I thought he would return a null value for that position in the array, but apparently it does not.
Below is how I'm trying to do this:
using System;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using OpcLabs;
using OpcLabs.EasyOpc;
using OpcLabs.EasyOpc.DataAccess;

namespace Supervisorio_V1_06_12.Paginas.M1
{
public partial class Comando : System.Web.UI.Page
{

protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
{

DAVtqResult[] leitura = EasyDAClient.DefaultInstance.ReadMultipleItems("CoDeSys.OPC.02", new DAItemDescriptor[]
{
"PLC1:.xI_TBN_ValvBorbFechada",
"PLC1:.reM_RDV_ReferenciaPotencia",

});

for (int i = 0; i < leitura.Length; i++)
{
if (leitura.Vtq == null)
{
leitura.Vtq.Value == 000;

}

}
TextBox1.Text = leitura[1].Vtq.Value.ToString();

}
}
}

You know me know a more efficient way of handling errors in readmultipleitems? tried using try catch block for this, have not found a more efficient way.

I thank you for your understanding, hugs.
Alisson R. S. Haubert

More
05 Jan 2013 18:44 #1142 by support
Hello,
you can increase the time the connection is held by setting a property in HoldPeriod, e.g. for 10 minutes:
easyDAClient.HoldPeriods.TopicRead = 10*60*1000;
Best regards,
Zbynek Zahradnik

More
04 Jan 2013 19:33 #1141 by alissonhaubert
Good Afternoon
I'm using the ReadMultipleItems method, and runs every 5 minutes, but I noticed that the OPC is running for 2 minutes, how can I make amends and let the OPC running until the next execution method ReadMultipleItems. Thank you for your attention.

Alisson Houbert

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds