Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

RTD command not working with Microsoft Excel 2016

More
19 Sep 2018 07:42 #6685 by support
Well in the picture provide you were connecting to two servers - one sample server, and then some other. This is bothering me somehow, because even though the error message may *look* the same in both cases at the first glance, there may be slight differences, and it is not OK to just assume that the problem is the same in both cases.

Specifically, in case when the problem is with the app's own instance certificate (versus with the server's certificate), we add some explanatory text at the end of the message. Unfortunately, the whole message text is not visible in the picture. Can you please

1. Either make the cell larger so that the whole text is visible, or copy the value (error message, as text) and post it here.

2. Either focus really on connections to just one of the servers, or make sure you are sending me the error messages from connections to both of them - so that I can verify they are truly the same.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2018 15:21 #6679 by slabbe
For the moment I am simply trying to make it work using the demo OPC-UA server that is coming with your software (opcua.demo-this.com / UA Sample Server, the one on port 51210).

More
18 Sep 2018 13:17 #6678 by support
Thank you.

No, no configuration in the Excel application itself.

But I have realized now what is happening, by looking more closely at the error message. It is not the client part complaining about the server. It is the OPC server complaining about the client's instance certificate. So, you need to go to the server and make it accept our certificate. The process of doing so is server-dependent.

I know how this is done with some commonly used servers (such as Kepware), but of course not all servers. What OPC server are you connecting to?

Regards

More
18 Sep 2018 13:06 #6676 by slabbe
There is absolutely no settings or configuration I need to do in Excel? Because I find it strange I can correctly see the data point value in your 'Live Data Point' window, but not in Excel.

More
18 Sep 2018 13:02 - 18 Sep 2018 13:03 #6675 by slabbe
The ConnectivityConfiguration2.xml file located in the following folder gets updated when I change the 'Accept Any Certificate' setting and apply it:
  • C:\ProgramData\Connectivity RTD Server

As you requested, I attached both files; one with 'Accept Any Certificate' configured to false and the other one when it is configured to true.

File Attachment:

File Name: Connectivi...true.xml
File Size:2 KB

File Attachment:

File Name: Connectivi...alse.xml
File Size:1 KB

ue.

I see that the date of the file change when I change the setting and restart the application.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Sep 2018 13:03 by slabbe.

More
18 Sep 2018 07:33 #6673 by support
Thank you for the details.

Can you please have a look at this article: opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...0Configuration%20Elements.html,

and
- check the date/time on the configuration file - does it appear to be modified by the Connectivity Explorer at the time you changed the configuration there?
- post the file (as attachment) here - I will inspect whether it contains the setting it is supposed to contain.

Thank you

More
17 Sep 2018 16:46 - 17 Sep 2018 16:47 #6665 by slabbe
Hi,

I tried the approach you suggested but I have the same error, with both my server and your demo server.

I applied the setting, closed Connectivity Explorer, closed QuickOPC, closed Excel, relaunched everything, checked the setting was still applied, and then retried to read the data point from Excel. No luck, same error.

You will see in the screenshot that ConnectityExplorer can read the data point values properly. So why can't it reach Excel?
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2018 16:47 by slabbe.

More
15 Sep 2018 10:13 #6653 by support
Hello,

for this work, you'd have to add *new* rows with these points in Connectivity Explorer, and then copy/paste them into Excel; the fact that it has been done correctly should be recognizable by the fact that all the formulas will now be much longer, because they will now contain the extra setting.

I recommend, however, a different approach:

1. In Connectivity Explorer, modify the setting globally. To do so: Tools -> Configure Connectivity. Select OPC UA Configuration. In Property grid, select Shared Parameters -> Engine Parameters -> Certificate Acceptance Policy, set "Accept Any Certificate" to True, press OK.

2. Verify that the following setting is enabled: Tools -> Options. "Configure RTD server connectivity" Should be checked.

3. Exit Excel and start it again.

Read about this under "Synchronized Connectivity Configuration" here: opclabs.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/QuickOpc/Latest/User%2...ntegration%20with%20Excel.html .

Note that in general, accepting any certificate isn't secure. But it is fine to use for testing and making things works; we can later discuss whether there is a way to do right, and how.

More
14 Sep 2018 16:30 - 14 Sep 2018 16:34 #6650 by slabbe
Hi,

For both points (my server and your demo server), I have the error attached below. It does not accept a self-signed certificate.

I tried to right click on the server, open 'Certificate acceptance policy', check 'Specify explicitly' and setting 'Accept Any Certificate' to 'True' in the Properties/Misc panel. But I still have the same exact error after configuring this setting...
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Sep 2018 16:34 by slabbe.

More
14 Sep 2018 08:06 #6645 by support
There is probably an error - and you do not get to see the error message, because the formula is made to show the value only.

In order to troubleshoot it, from Connectivity Explorer, drag-and-drop (in addition to the formula you already have) also the cells under "Status" and "Error Message" columns.

Their contents in Excel should then hopefully show more information about what is happening.

Best regards

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds