Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

(Excel Option - license deployment)

More
23 Nov 2017 07:57 #5686 by support
I am glad you asked this question, because it shows a misunderstanding that needs to be clarified. It is not your fault, though - we probably need to make it much clearer in the documentation.

I think the misunderstanding comes from the term "RTD Server" (which is not something we have made up; it is an official term from Microsoft). This is not a "server" in a sense of something like SQL Server or OPC Server. It is, basically, a local COM component - a piece of code compiled and linked to an EXE or DLL - that exposes certain functionality to Excel and integrates into its "RTD" function in Excel formulas. In case of QuickOPC Excel Option, this RTD Server equals to the set of QuickOPC assemblies (DLLs), that need to be placed on the machine where the Excel process runs, and registered with COM (using RegAsm utility).

So, if you intend to use the QuickOPC Excel Option to connect from Excel to OPC servers, and there will be multiple computers running the Excel, each of them will have its own "RTD Server" installed (the QuickOPC assemblies). And each of them will connect from Excel through its own RTD server to the target OPC servers (which can then be on different computers as well). There will be no central RTD Server.

The QuickOPC licensing then reflects this. QuickOPC license is physically located in the rgistry at the machine where QuickOPC runs. In this case, QuickOPC (exposing its RTD server component) will tun on each computer where the users run Excel, and that's where the license needs to be installed. When not installed, that particular computer will fall back to using the 30-minute trial license (counted from each start of the process hosting the QuickOPC, which would be the Excel application in this case).

Note: Actually, at least theoretically, it would be possible to deploy the RTD server centrally, and then specify its location in the Excel RTD function. It may work, we do not support this scenario, and have not even ever tested it. In this case, Excel would need to to connect to the remote RTD server using DCOM, and that would bring all the DCOM headaches with it (configuration, security, performance). So forget that for future considerations; I just wanted this discussion to be technically complete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dmdrendall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2017 07:43 #5685 by support
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:09 PM
To: Z.
Subject: RE: OPC Labs Contact Form - Excel Integration

[...]
One quick license question though. Will machines with runtimes need to install license keys? In reading the docs, I thought the clients only needed a handful of files (*.dll's, etc) to assemble the client and connect to the central RTD server.

Perhaps I've not properly deployed a runtime, and since servers will talk to servers in the OPC-UA world, I'm thinking that's why my remote client machine is dependent on the trial period and thus, still expiring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.053 seconds