Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Connecting To Remote Server

More
09 Oct 2014 14:43 #2415 by support
Replied by support on topic Connecting To Remote Server
AFAIK, this is lower-level error coming from Microsoft RPC or DCOM that normally "should not" happen. Looks like that the two ends do not really match well. Can you please check:

- That the operating system have service packs and updates. BTW, is the client and the server running on the same OS?
- That both systems (client and server) have the same version of OPC stubs/proxies (i.e., the same version of OPC Core Components).
- That there are no network configuration problems (see e.g. the discussion here: stackoverflow.com/questions/10027454/create-com-object-on-server-in-c-error-80070776 ).

Note: If the only OPC software on the server side is FactoryTalk, the OPC proxies/stubs may be included with its installation, and you won't see any "OPC Core Components" in "Add/Remove Programs". In such case, I still recommend installing the recent OPC Core Components from OCP Foundation, which will update the proxy/stub already residing on the system. opcfoundation.org/developer-tools/developer-kits-classic/core-components/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2014 12:59 #2412 by neilcooley
Hi

I don't have another OPC client to try so I am a little stuck.

I have however now got a different message, The object exporter specified was not found. - do you know what this means and what I need to do ?

Neil

More
09 Oct 2014 11:43 #2410 by support
Normally I would advise you to try to assign different combinations to following static properties - in the code, before the very first OPC operation is attempted:

EasyDAClient.ClientParameters.UseCustomSecurity
EasyDAClient.ClientParameters.TurnOffActivationSecurity
EasyDAClient.ClientParameters.TurnOffCallSecurity

(if you are working with the demo app, then there is a source code to it available under examples).

However that is usually needed when there is a permission problem such as "Access denied". But it may still be worth trying. Your error ("RPC Server is unavailable"), though, seems more related to issues with processes running (or not running) and/or firewall access. Are you saying that even the firewall that's on the client side is turned off?

Do you have some other OPC client to try from the same machine, and if so, what are the results?

More
08 Oct 2014 14:34 #2408 by neilcooley
Hi
I have got a single read or single write working but when I subscribe to the tag, I get a "The RPC server is unavailable" as the exception.

Have you got any ideas what I have done wrong or need to do? Currently I have all firewalls off.

Neil

More
07 Oct 2014 13:02 #2398 by neilcooley
Thanks

I will have a look later and come back if it still doesnt work !

Neil

More
07 Oct 2014 12:08 - 07 Oct 2014 12:16 #2396 by support
This is perhaps the most common question. I suggest that you start by folowing the steps described here: www.opclabs.com/resources/technology-opc/opc-videos/opc-dcom .

Best regards
Last edit: 07 Oct 2014 12:16 by support.

More
07 Oct 2014 11:08 #2395 by neilcooley
Hi

I am trying to connect to a remote server, FACTORYTALK which is on a different subnet to my client PC. FACTORYTALK is a server running Windows Server 2008 R2.

I am using the demo application and the connection exemption is Access Denied.

Please could you explain what I need to do in order to connect to a remote server running on FACTORYTALK.

I haven't done anything with DCOM so I would appreciate some simple guidance.

Thanks again

Neil

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds