Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

QuickOPC.net doesn't work on machine that is not on OPC server

More
28 May 2013 17:37 #1322 by support
"Class not registered" means that on the computer specified in the binding, the OPC Server object appears as not registered (with Microsoft COM). Is the computer specified properly in the binding (the MachineName? - i.e. aren't you mistakenly looking connecting to an incorrect computer - a name that is accesible to the dev machine but not to the other machine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2013 12:05 - 22 May 2013 13:27 #1315 by dsperry101
Sorry I haven't responded. I've finally had time to do some testing on this.
I did the bindings as you said and ran the task. The ErrorMessage on the text box
said: "Class not registered". The textbox that had MappingKind = quality had no entry.

Both of the installed dll's have revision #1.0.105.1 (both dll's both machines)
Both machines are Windows XP SP3 (identical builds)
I am developing on a machine that has Visual Studio 2010 using VB. I am building the task to a directory on the machine then moving it to an accessible drive for the other machine to run.

Later I tried the DemoApplication Browser. On the machine where the VB application doesn't work I browsed to the OPC server machine and found the correct server for the remote Yaskawa control. When I tried to browse items it hung up and at the bottom the error said "Cannot connect Data Access client (timeout).
Last edit: 22 May 2013 13:27 by dsperry101.

More
23 Apr 2013 07:04 #1303 by support
The fact that you are installing the application from the same installer does not, per itself, guarantee that OPC Core Components will be the same on both machines. At least one of them also has the OPC Server installed, and the OPC Server installs its own version of OPC Core Components, and there are version checks when the installers run, so the end result might be that the versions on the computers differ anyway.

1. Can you please find opccomn_ps.dll and opcproxy.dll files on the two computers (typically in a directory like C:\Program Files\Common Files\OPC Foundation\Bin), and right-click on them, select Properties, and on the Details tab, check their File version?

2. What is the operating system on the two computers?

3. Still unsure what is your main problem. I assume that it is not the behavior of the demo app. So the main issue is that your binding does not work? If so, are you getting any error message there? If not, please set up a second text field, bind it to the same item, and select MappingKind = ErrorMessage in the binding properties, and a third text field, binding it to MappingKind = Quality this time. This way you can obtain more information about why the binding is not being updating properly.

Best regards

More
22 Apr 2013 09:29 #1300 by dsperry101
Hello,
The two installations on the server computer and the remote are from the same zip file so incompatible versions is not an issue.
The error I get "The marshalled interface data packet (OBJREF) has an invalid or unknown format" is generated SOMETIMES when I run your demo application (.NET).
Another error I'm getting is "cannot connect Data Access client (timeout)".
The VB app works on the server but does not on the remote machine. I am "publishing" the task to a network drive and have tried running on 2 different (not the OPC server) and the task doesn't work.
The label has binding to a tag on a machine serviced by the OPC server. When it works the "Label1" changes the to value of the tag.

More
19 Apr 2013 08:51 #1296 by support
Hello,

I am not sure if you are reporting one issue or two issues. When you say "when I publish the task on another computer it doesn't work", are you referring to the issue with the "The marshalled interface data packet (OBJREF) has an invalid or unknown format", or is it something different? If so, what are the symptoms?

As to the "The marshalled interface data packet (OBJREF) has an invalid or unknown format", this would be difficult to diagnose unless we can reproduce it. One idea that comes to my mind is that I would suggest to check that both computers involved have the same (and ideally, the newest) version of OPC Foundation Core Components, downloadable from www.opcfoundation.org/Downloads.aspx?CM=1&CN=KEY&CI=286 . QuickOPC installs the Core Components, but the server computer might have a different version.

Note that the installation of Core Components on both sides is also a general prerequisite for any OPC "remote" scenario.

More
18 Apr 2013 19:03 #1295 by dsperry101
Hello,
I have QuickOPC.NET using vb.net (VStudio 2010) in windows XP. New to OPC not VB programming.
I have a Yaskawa OPC server.
On the computer I have the server running on I did a simple binding of a tag from a Yaskawa servo controller to a label to display a value from one of the server machines it is monitoring.
It works great however when I publish the task on another computer it doesn't work.
I tried your sample code on same machine (not the server) and browsing to the machine then server then group then tag (same way I generated the binding it works SOMETIMES but sometimes get an error :
"The marshalled interface data packet (OBJREF) has an invalid or unknown format"
Help!

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds