Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

OPC UA Web App Unable to Recognize License

More
22 Mar 2021 16:18 #9534 by support
G.,
thank you, this is helpful. May do the "license key in file system" licensing for 2021.2 or 2021.3.

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: gkalipershad

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2021 14:35 #9530 by gkalipershad
Z,

1) There is some value to this. I would say that users who target .NET Core are more likely to be deploying to Linux and MacOS (once this becomes more widely known and adopted), so the few that are targeting .NET Core and deploying to Windows, would probably be fine embedding the license as a managed resource as we have had this user do. Considering the limited group that this would affect, I think this could add value, but would maybe be considered to be a low priority feature addition. You may see this use-case more often on your end, which would of course change things.

2) With a majority of the users I encounter using WinForms, I see a lot of value in doing this. Our team as a whole often receives inquiries about licensing deployment (about 3 inquiries on average per month on deployment methods), so if that process can be simplified, it would be helpful. As long as you are okay with the concern you mentioned, this is definitely something I see value in considering.

Thanks,
GK

More
22 Mar 2021 13:26 #9529 by support
Great, thanks for update.

Looking for some opinion on related issues here:

1) Would you see a value in allowing registry-based licenses also under .NET Core? (but still, on Windows only - as there is no registry on Linux or macOS) ?

2) Would you see a value in allowing the product be licensed simply by placing the license key file alongside the executable? (note that it may not be the ideal or doable way for the particular IIS scenario, as the executable is the IIS itself). Downside would be that license keys would be easier copyable (but we never intended to really prevent their copying; and they would still not be modifiable).

Best regards

More
22 Mar 2021 13:18 #9528 by gkalipershad
Z,

The customer confirmed for me that there are no licensing exceptions after embedding the license file as a managed resource and deploying to IIS.

Thanks for setting me straight on this!

GK
The following user(s) said Thank You: support

More
17 Mar 2021 20:06 #9516 by gkalipershad
Ahhh I see. I had a feeling I was missing something simple. This is a result of not having to support .NET Core users very often. I appreciate your answer and I will confirm whether the customer is successful in this implementation.

Thanks,
GK

More
17 Mar 2021 19:54 #9515 by support
Hello.

If they compile for .NET Core, the license isn't read from the registry at all: softwaretoolbox.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/OpcDataClient/.../webframe.html#Licensing3.html

They need to embed it in the managed resources (softwaretoolbox.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/OpcDataClient/...esource%20License%20Store.html ) .

This hasn't been tested under IIS, though, but should work.

More
17 Mar 2021 19:01 #9514 by gkalipershad
Hello,

I have been working with a customer that has an OPC Data Client Professional Edition license.

The are using the following:

- OPC Data Client 2020.3 (5.59.492.1)
- Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Version 1809
- .NET Core 3.1.0

Whenever they run their Web App that is hosted on IIS, they get the following error after 30 minutes:

"Run time is over the limit in license "Multipurpose", serial number 1111111120. The license you are running (most likely trial version) does not provide valid data after certain time period expires. Note that after the component's process is simply restarted, valid data will be provided again. Obtain and install proper license to permanently resolve this error. Product information follows. Component name: "QuickOPC", license IDs: "Multipurpose", version number: 559, release date: 12/3/2020, trial validity: 397 days, option expression: "EasyUAClient". Context: 0 dropped license(s). + The client method called was 'DataChangeNotification'."

Here are some things I have already looked for:

- This does happen on both the development machine and when deployed to IIS.
- The license was applied through the License Manager and not through any other methods.
- The correct 'QuickOpc' component was licensed.
- The Release date covered is 2/9/2022, so all good there.
- The EasyOpcUADemo runs fine and does not encounter license error after 30min.

I had believed this issue was related to the "Access to the License" section here: softwaretoolbox.doc-that.com/files/onlinedocs/OpcDataClient/...bframe.html#License_Store.html

We had them show us what user the Application Pool was running under and then we had them go into the registry and confirm that the user account had read access to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Licensing\QuickOPC\Multipurpose.

I'm afraid that after all that, I am out of ideas. Hoping you could provide some input that might get us going in the right direction.

Thanks,
GK

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds