Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Visual Studio 2017 Hangs when Compiling and Debugging

More
02 Mar 2019 19:42 #7155 by admin
That you for update. I am sorry that I could not help better, but sometimes it is like that...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2019 21:35 #7154 by gkalipershad
Customer has let me know that he is able to live with this annoyance because it has not caused any corruption to the project. He will be looking to do a fresh install of everything on a new machine down the road. I do not expect this to be an issue at all once that happens.

I appreciate you input on this issue.

Regards,
GK

More
09 Feb 2019 18:35 #7074 by support
Hello,

it is unlikely that the older version install is causing this. But it is difficult to say, because I really do not know what the cause may be.

Have they tried to post it through relevant Microsoft venues?

Do they have any antivirus, and if so, have they tried to disable it, and what were the results?

Do they have more computers and if so, what is the behavior on them?

Best regards

More
07 Feb 2019 22:25 #7071 by gkalipershad
Hello,

I know you said that there probably is not anything you can do for this situation, but I was hoping to get your input.

The customer says they only experience this behavior when the Data Client controls are on the form. They have tested other situations, but VS does not hang.

In VS, I could not find a way to disable symbol loading, but I did have the customer go to Tools -> Options -> Debugging -> Symbols, and change the Automatic symbol loading preference to "Load only specified modules". However, this did not seem to help the situation.

They had a new dialog pop up and they did try to click "Cancel", but no luck. This dialog says "Loading symbols for Opc.Ua.Configuration, Attempting to cancel will disable further symbol loading".

The customer also mentioned that they had previously downloaded an older version of the toolkit. They have since uninstalled it, but they are wondering if it is possible that they have some old libraries or registry entries that could be causing issues. I have multiple versions on my own machine and have never had these issues, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

More
29 Jan 2019 13:57 #7046 by support
Hello.

The path in the error message comes from our assemblies, and corresponds to a path used when the product was built.The compiler puts it there automatically, so that the debugger has easier just finding the corresponding symbol files (PDB) for the assemblies. It is meant as "hint" only.

The way it is supposed to work is, I think, that the debugger tries to find the PDB file at the hinted location, and if it is there, it loads it; otherwise, it should skip it.
I have no idea why the path should be of any use during building of the customer's product, though.

If the PDB file is not present, as is the case on all our customer's computers, the expected behavior is that this condition is silently "swallowed" by Visual Studio. of course the user won't get the ability to debug (with symbol) *into* our assemblies, but that's how it was meant to be.

The bottom line, I'am afraid I won't be able to help here. It looks like something that should rather be reported to Microsoft. I would be slightly suspicious if the customer had some kind of virus scanner or similar software that hooks to the file system, because that could then have bugs that cause other software to misbehave.

I do get similar messages (with other libraries) from time to time as well. Pressing Cancel then allows VS to proceed. You have not written what happens if they press Cancel?

There may also be a setting in VS to disable the symbol loading.

Regards

More
28 Jan 2019 18:36 #7045 by gkalipershad
Attachments:

More
28 Jan 2019 18:35 #7044 by gkalipershad
Hello,

I am working with a customer who has the following system specs:

Windows 7 Pro 32bit
VS2017 Professional Version 5.9.3
OPC Data Client version 2018.3 (5.54.453.1)
Targeting 4.6.2 .NET Framework
Application is x86 machine

The issue they are having is that sometimes when they try to compile the application, or attempt to starts a debug session from within VS, the process' CPU usage will jump up to 85%+ and hang until they have to kill the process. They've waiting as long as 10 minutes to see if VS recovers. When the process hangs, they have seen the attached message appear. I am not familiar at all with the file path specified and the customer said that it does not exist on their machine.

Please let me know what your thoughts are.

Best Regards,
GK
Attachments:

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds