Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Use ReadMultipleItemValues, or subscription/event handlers?

More
03 Apr 2011 12:21 #348 by support
I was giving an answer to your question where you state " read ... tags ... every 2 seconds", i.e. periodically, and the answer (the recommendation to use subscription) holds for that scenario.
What you have described now is an opposite of what you described earlier. Consequently, the answer to it is different: And you are right, if you are not reading periodically and need a momentary snapshot of a set of values, then ReadMultipleItemValues is the way to go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2011 06:44 #347 by mpuig@mapex.es
Hello,
Ok, I understand that for individual tags, event handlers is the best solution.
But in case that part of these tags are recipes with a table format, for example :
component name1, quantity1, work order1, units1,
component name2, quantity2, work order2, units2, ...
we assume that we should use ReadMultipleItemValues to receive the whole table of components. In this case the duration of the read function is not important, because it will not be executed periodically.
Thank you.
Marc

More
03 Apr 2011 04:31 #346 by support
Subscription and event handlers is definitely the right way to go. Repeatedly calling ReadMultipleItemValues is possible, but - especially with large quantities - can give worse performance and less precise timing.

More
02 Apr 2011 18:24 #345 by support
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2011 5:51 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: .....

Hello,

I have another question for you.

We have to develop an application to read 4000 tags from OPC server every 2 seconds and save the values to a database.

So, we are wondering if use the function ReadMultipleItemValues() with an array for the 4000 values is the best solution.

Do you recommend any other solution, like subscribe the items and use event handlers ?

Marc

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.054 seconds