Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

License timeout when application deployed to server

More
10 Jun 2015 13:26 - 10 Jun 2015 16:22 #3199 by Flintstone
Thank you for the clarification on your method of versioning your software. I will refer to this post for future upgrades. I would suggest that a modified explanation from your previous post would be beneficial to your customers if appended to the explanation that is already on your FAQ page.

In addition, I went through my filed e-mails and there was no mistake on your end. I have a copy of the "QuickOPC maintenance renewal offer" that was sent to me when my maintenance contract was about to end so no "extra discount" is in order, but thank you for the offer. I will use the link provided in the e-mail to renew my contract.

Thank you for you assistance.

Edit: When I went on your site to renew my maintenance extension, there was no method of adding the item to a cart. The only option is to select "Contact us." Can you please tell me how I can renew?

Best Regards
Last edit: 10 Jun 2015 16:22 by Flintstone. Reason: Clarification

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2015 07:13 #3196 by support
We use following distinction:

- A "version" is differentiated by new/changed features or API changes. Version label consists of the first two parts of the full version string (in "a.b.c.d", "a.b" is the version)
- A "build" contains just big fixes. Builds of the same version are differentiated by "c.d" in the version label.

We make new builds as necessary and place them from time to time on the Web site, without specifically announcing it (except to customers that we know are affected or interested).

When you purchase QuickOPC, it tells you are buying e.g. "5.2x" or "5.3x" version, meaning that you are licensed to use all versions that look alike, e.g. for "5.2x", that would be 5.20, 5.21, 5.22 up to 5.29.

At the time when you have made the purchase, versions 5.3x did not exist at all. The purchase page, and your purchase documents, had been showing that you were buying QuickOPC 5.2x (and nothing else). Plus, the 1 year maintenance bought at that time has extended it to all versions released during 1 year following the purchase, which came to be QuickOPC 5.31 maximum.

Using the same logic, currently the purchase page would now show that you are buying QuickOPC 5.3x. The licenses being currently issued also technically cover the versions 5.22 and 5.23, that's why the current purchase page also mentions them.

Version upgrades are at 50% of the new license prices. I will send you the information for version upgrade process by email. We normally notify our customers when their maintenance period is about to end and offer them an extension. I have checked our records and it is possible that by mistake, you have not been sent this email. For this reason I will arrange an extra discount.

Best regards

More
09 Jun 2015 17:54 #3195 by Flintstone
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I interrogated the true license as you suggested and I am indeed using 5.32.

My confusion about upgrading comes from your FAQ page that states, "With the maintenance, you receive all new versions of the software free of charge during the maintenance period. The maintenance term can later be extended. All customers may freely download and use new builds (with bug fixes) of the same version they have purchased, even without an active maintenance agreement." I thought that 5.32 was just a revision of version 5.31 and not a new version. Also, on the purchase page it shows the product name as "QuickOPC 5.22-5.3x Ultimate" leading one to believe that if you purchased QuickOPC that it was good for all revisions from 5.22 up to 5.3x, which in my mind was up to 5.39.

Since I have already started development of some applications using 5.32, I would like to purchase the necessary maintenance extension or version upgrade. Can you tell me what I need to purchase in order to use version 5.32?

Thanks again for your help.

More
09 Jun 2015 17:08 - 09 Jun 2015 17:09 #3194 by support
Assuming that I have located the correct info about your license (the License Manager screenshot wasn't provided), you have purchased a license that covers all 5.2x versions, with 1 year maintenance until Oct 2, 2014, which means that the license covers all versions released by that date (which comes up to 5.31, but not 5.32 and later).

The ACTIVE indication in License Manager just shows that the license is loaded and not corrupted, the actual validation is made inside the product.

The true license the component is using can be interrogated using the EasyXXClient.LicenseInfo property.

The updates don't just stop: When the trial runtime expires, there is always an error which explains the problem. Ideally you software will make the error somewhere visible or available for diagnostics.

If you decide to use the latest version covered by your license, let me know and I will send you the URL (as it is not publicly visible on the site). For the current version, you'd need to purchase a version upgrade.

Best regards
Last edit: 09 Jun 2015 17:09 by support.

More
09 Jun 2015 14:58 #3193 by Flintstone
I developed an ASP.NET MVC/C# application, titled AthensProductionMVC, using QuickOPC 5.2 Ultimate and deployed it to my web server using the "Manual Deployment" method as outlined in the Concepts-QuickOPC.pdf. After deployment, the application worked without experiencing any problems. At some point after this deployment, I downloaded QuickOPC 5.3 and began using it to develop other applications. Later, I needed to make modifications to the "AthensProductionMVC" application. I updated all of the references since I was now using QuickOPC 5.3 and re-deployed the application to the web server. Now, the application stops updating after 30 minutes. I feel certain that this is related to a license issue.

I went back through the "Manual Deployment" section of the Concepts-QuickOPC.pdf and followed all of the steps and the application still only runs for 30 minutes. In step 2 of the Manual deployment it states, "Run the QuickOPC installation program, selecting “Custom install” choice and later “Production installation” type." I did this and used the license manager to select "QuickOPC 5.3" as the component and then browsed to my license file and selected it. The license manager shows my license status to be "ACTIVE." (Please see the attached screen capture.)

Another problem that I am having that may be related, is that on my development machine, the "EasyOPC.NET Demo Application" provided with the QuickOPC software also times out 30 minutes after being opened. My development machine also shows the QuickOPC 5.3 license to be "ACTIVE." The server OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 and my development machine is Windows 8.1 Pro. Perhaps I did something incorrectly when I added the license file after upgrading from QuickOPC 5.2 to QuickOPC 5.3.

Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds