Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

How to Develop ASP.NET OPC client app

More
21 Feb 2014 10:39 #1737 by support
Yes, there are some additional requirements if you want to run on a different machine where QuickOPC has not been yet installed. For first tests, you can simply install it using the default settings on the new machine, that should resolve the TypeInitializationException.

In order to do this "right", study the Concepts document that is installed with the product (or is here: www.opclabs.com/download/file/181-concepts-quickopc ), and follow the instructions in the "Application Deployment" section.

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2014 06:33 - 21 Feb 2014 09:53 #1728 by amodv
Hello,
Thank you. We really appreciate your help.

We'll look into it and get back to you in case i find issues.

Is it necessary to INSTALL QUICKOPC on client's machine ? Because, when i tried running my application on different machine i am experiencing "x86_OpcLabs.EasyOpcClassicRaw_5.30.1034.1.dll" Error. Please find attached image file

Code written on Page_Load of Default.aspx.cs is below -

var client = new OpcLabs.EasyOpc.DataAccess.EasyDAClient();
//object value = client.ReadItemValue("", "OPCLabs.KitServer.2", "Demo.Single");
object value = client.ReadItemValue("MACHINENAME", "OPCLabs.KitServer.2", "Demo.Single");

txtOPCValue.Text = (value == null) ? "" : value.ToString();

I am going good or i need to follow some other way. Please help

Best Regards
Amod
Last edit: 21 Feb 2014 09:53 by amodv.

More
20 Feb 2014 14:24 #1722 by support
The objects and methods provided by QuickOPC do not really care which OPC server(s) you connect to. In order to connect to any OPC server, you need to know 1) the computer it resides on, 2) the identification (usually, a ProgID) of the server. You may then need additional info (such as ItemID) to actually obtain the data.

Most QuickOPC methods take the first parameter as machine name, as second parameter as the ProgID of the server. You can therefore take the code from the examples, and modify it to connect to a different computer, and a different server.

Also, the methods of QuickOPC are not limited to work with just a single OPC server. You can freely mix calls and refer to multiple different servers; it will just work.

The QuickOPC methods give you the ability to access the data (reading, writing, subscriptions). You can also explore "what's in there" by using the browsing methods. All the OPC stuff is hidden inside the component. You need to write the code "around it" that does whatever your application is supposed to do with the data.

Best regards

More
20 Feb 2014 11:01 #1721 by amodv
Hello,
Thank you ,

I have installed QuickOPC 5.30 and it worked. Now, I can see bunch of applications.
As you mentioned that these applications use test server.
But if we have an OPC SERVER; how can we customize it to interface with this OPC Server?

Scenario :

There is an OPC server installed on my machine. And there is another machine, I want to browse the tags from (client machine) which is a different machine than Server (i.e my machine where OPC server is installed).

Secondly, we are developing a database application for large section of industries and will have various OPC servers. We want to develop OPC client(s) to be able access these servers (not simultaneously) while data recording is done in our application through this client.

Can you please advise us?

Regards

Amod Vardhan

More
20 Feb 2014 09:52 #1720 by support
Hello,

I was assuming you are using QuickOPC 5.30.

In QuickOPC 5.23, open the other solution – the one that does not say “VS 2010+ Only”.

Best regards,

More
20 Feb 2014 09:51 #1719 by support
Hello,
Thanks alot for your reply.
I have installed "QuickOPC 5.23.exe" but as i have clicked on Visual C# Examples going through following path (see image 1). I Clicked on Visual C# Examples (VS2010 + Only). Though this opens a project in VS 2010 but there is no Web Directory( See Image 2). You can see There is only Console directory, no Web.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: amodv

More
20 Feb 2014 09:50 #1718 by support
Hello.

Here is what I suggest you do:

1. Download and install QuickOPC (www.opclabs.com/downloads ). It’s a free trial.
2. In the Windows Start menu, locate the OPC Labs - QuickOPC submenu, and then select Examples (Source Code) -> Visual C# Examples. It will open a Visual Studio solution with the examples.
3. There are projects for various technologies in this solution. What you need to look at are the projects under the “Web” folder – they deal with ASP.NET.

When you install QuickOPC, it will also install a “test” (simulation) OPC server of ours. This is the server all our examples connect to, and you can use it to develop your application as well.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

Would it be OK if I put our conversation (anonymized) to our Online Forums, so that others can benefit from it as well, and we continue it there?

Best regards,

More
20 Feb 2014 09:49 #1717 by support
Hello,
No problem.

Let’s first clarify what you are trying to achieve.

Is it my correct understanding that
1. You already have (or there will be) an OPC Server that provides the data. Do you know which server it is, and/or at least which OPC specifications it supports? (OPC-DA, A&E, Unified Architecture?)
Re- Right now, We don't have server, but our client has. But for testing purpose in development we want to have any simulator kind of thing which gives us the values say , dummy server

2. You want to write an ASP.NET 4.0 application that connects to the OPC Server (i.e. the application is an OPC client)?
Re- Exactly we want to develop OPC Client using .Net 4.0 using that dummy server setup.

Thank you

More
20 Feb 2014 09:49 #1716 by support
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:35 PM
To: Zbynek Zahradnik
Subject: Re: QuickOPC Download Form - ...

Hello,
I am sorry to say, but i am totally new in this. I need your help . First of all i would like to know how installation file i need to download it for server. and how can my applicatoin , developed in ASP.NET 4.0 . communicates with Server.

Please help me with this.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds