Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Memory increase by using WMI Service

More
08 Apr 2018 07:44 #6211 by support
I have tried to figure out what is causing the issue, but with no success. It appears to be some kind of conflict in the infrastructure (.NET COM interop versus the COM components you are using). I could not ever trigger this memory leak when our software was used alone.

It is something that is beyond our control and therefore, unfortunately, we cannot offer you any more help in this respect, at least until some new information appears that would "unblock" the investigation.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2018 07:37 #6201 by RVersteeg
Hello !

In our application the getnetwork is in a seperate thread.

I have change the the test project2 to project3 in set the getnetwork in a thread !

The same problem !!

Here the test Project "Project3.exe"

You can test it on your own PC !

We can not use the second way, because it make our application to slow ! We have serial connection that must run in all 100 ms !
Attachments:

More
02 Apr 2018 16:18 #6196 by support
After some investigation, the initial hypothesis that something is preventing the .NET garbage collection appears to be incorrect. It seems to be the other way round: The memory consumed by .NET does not grow, while something else is eating it up, and that other thing is related to COM, in the GetNetworks procedure. So it looks like that having .NET CLR injected into the process is causing some bad behavior in it.

This would be more for Microsoft to explain what they are doing. To me, it looks related to a fact that a COM thread in a single-threaded apartment (STA) must do Windows message pumping for COM to work properly, and possibly the /NET CLR is somehow mixing it up. But that is a hypothesis again.

I found two ways of preventing the problem:

1. Do not use Delphi TTimer to invoke COM-related code such as GetNetworks. Instead, use a thread with a loop and some "sleep" - the same way as you are already doing in your code for other periodic tasks.

2. Add message pumping to the code invoked by the TTimer. Basically, besides doing the work you want to do (GetNetworks, for example), try to pump messages every time the timer procedure is invoked. The procedure below is an example of doing that.
uses
  IdGlobal,
  Messages,
  Windows;

procedure PumpSleep(MiliSecValue : cardinal);
var
  Dummy: DWord;
  EndTick: Cardinal;
  Msg: TMsg;
  StartTick: Cardinal;
  Timeout: Int64;
begin
  // Pump messages in order to receive COM events. Not needed in VCL Forms.
  StartTick := Ticks;
  EndTick := StartTick + MiliSecValue;
  repeat
    Timeout := EndTick - Ticks;
    if Timeout <= 0 then
      Break;
    if MsgWaitForMultipleObjects(0, Dummy, False, Timeout, QS_ALLINPUT) = 0 then
    begin
      if GetMessage(Msg, 0, 0, 0) then
      begin
        if Msg.Message = WM_QUIT then
          Halt;
        TranslateMessage(Msg);
        DispatchMessage(Msg);
      end;
    end;
  until False;
end;

Best regards

More
29 Mar 2018 07:09 #6193 by support
Hello,

I am able to reproduce what appears as unlimited memory increase when I press both the "Start Thread Reader" and "Read cyclic WMI Network inactiv" buttons. I will investigate it. It could be that something is preventing the .NET garbage collector from running.

When I read a wrong (or good) node without Network adapter scan, I see no memory increase.

Best regards

More
29 Mar 2018 05:57 #6191 by RVersteeg
Hello !

1.If I use the Mitec System components to get the network adapter I get the same memory increase !

2.If I read cyclic a wrong node without Network adapter scan, then the memory increase too.

Do you have found anything ?

More
26 Mar 2018 07:32 #6187 by RVersteeg
Hello !

We use the code in "Read Cyclic WMI Network activ" in our application ! This code do not increase the memory !

Both procedure do not increase the memory if it run single !

It is in combined with the "Start Thread Reader" !

I dont know wich part increase the memory ?

Can you see wich part increase the memory ?

More
26 Mar 2018 07:19 - 26 Mar 2018 07:19 #6186 by support
The way I understand it, the "Read Cyclic WMI Network activ" starts a code that has nothing to do with QuickOPC. If that code contains a memory leak, I won't be able to help you with that.

Do you get a memory increase if you do *not* press that button?

Regards
Last edit: 26 Mar 2018 07:19 by support.

More
26 Mar 2018 05:59 #6185 by RVersteeg
Hello !

You must press the Button "Start Thread Reader" and the Button "Read Cyclic WMI Network activ" !

More
25 Mar 2018 14:33 #6178 by support
I cannot reproduce the problem. The memory consumed stays without significant changes for hours. Here is what I did:
  1. Reimported the type libraries.
  2. Removed the "Sleep(10)" line in the read cycle, in order for it to work and consume memory much faster.
  3. Changed the endpoint and node to our server, so that the read succeeds.
  4. Rebuilt the project.
  5. Ran it, pressed "Start Thread Reader".

I am not sure if I have to do something else too.

Regards

More
23 Mar 2018 07:47 #6175 by support
Thank you, I understand.
I will have a look at it.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds