Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Connecting Client -> Server without network connection

More
13 Jun 2017 09:46 - 22 Jun 2017 07:38 #5234 by support
Basically, I want to do the following. But it may differ depending on what we find.

With network cable connected:
  1. Look around to see which OPC UA software you have installed, including LDS.
  2. Check LDS status in Services.
  3. Check for LDS open ports (using TcpView, technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/tcpview.aspx ).
  4. Verify how local discovery works from with QuickOPC demo application.
  5. Verify how local discovery works from within other OPC UA client(s).
  6. Stop LDS, verify how it looks in Services and with TcpView.
  7. With LDS stopped, verify how local discovery does not work from within QuickOPC demo application.
  8. With LDS stopped, verify how local discovery does not work from within other OPC UA client(s).
  9. Make LDS operational again.

With network cable disconnected - ideally, take video; less ideally, screen snapshots on each step.
  1. Check how LDS looks like in Services.
  2. Check how LDS ports look like in TcpView.
  3. Verify how local discovery works from with QuickOPC demo application. Capture full details of any exceptions. Re-verify how LDS ports look in TcpView.
  4. Verify how local discovery works from within other OPC UA client(s).

This should be done with updated build of QuickOPC 2016.2 - we have added some details to the discovery exception message. The build is not yet on the Web site. I will let you know when it becomes public. I will also send you an email regarding the actual remote session.

EDITED TO ADD: The build should be 5.41.1252.1 or later.

Best regards
Last edit: 22 Jun 2017 07:38 by support. Reason: added the actual build number

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2017 10:05 #5230 by Captain_Dash
We can do a remote session. Just let me know how to set this up und maybe what you want to see exactly, so I can prepare this. Otherwise I can create a presentation where I document step by step what I am doing.

More
10 Jun 2017 20:03 #5225 by Captain_Dash
I need to ask for permissions within the company and our IT department. But if that is not possible I can take some screenshots with some descriptions.

More
10 Jun 2017 10:19 #5222 by support
Can we setup a remote session such as VNC, so that I can see what you are doing, and have a look at your computer. I suspect this is not any deeply technical issue; I rather think it is some kind of misunderstanding that is hard to pinpoint without seeing it.

Doing this might be complicated by the fact that what you want to demonstrate requires disconnecting the network which would break the remote desktop session. But we can work around that, possibly by you making a screenshot of each step taken while the cable is disconnected. I actually think seeing what you have when it *does* work would be worth anyway.

More
09 Jun 2017 21:04 #5221 by Captain_Dash
No we did not especially give the clients extra hints like port number, etc. Only the pc name. Is there something we can provide you to determine whether its a bug. It's mandatory for our application that we can discover the server in anyway without the network connection.

More
09 Jun 2017 18:30 #5220 by support
Thank you.

If the LDS did not come with the OPC server, you can use the one from OPC Foundation (opcfoundation.org/developer-tools/developer-kits-unified-arc...re/local-discovery-server-lds/ ). To my knowledge, vast majority of servers rely on it anyway (and may include it as part of its own installation), because it works well and there is no reason to modify or extend its functionality in any way.

With great certainty, you can tell whether LDS is running by checking whether something on your computer listens on port 4840. This is a standard port for UA discovery through TCP. The LDS may also listen on other ports, for HTTP or even HTTPS discovery, but that's not really common and is usually just in addition to port 4840.

The LDS from OPC Foundation has service name "UALDS" and description "OPC UA Local Discovery Server".

Just by having the LDS installed and running, the UA servers would not become discoverable. They need to be written so that they when they are started (and periodically thereafter), they try to connect to the local LDS and *register* with it. But again, practically all servers are written in that way, so this is just to explain how it works. If the LDS was there and running, and the server did not register, the symptoms would be different anyway - the server would not be in the list provided by the LDS, but LDS would work normally.

If other OPC UA clients could discover servers on the local machine (without giving them addition hint to port numbers etc.), then it would point to a direction of a bug in QuickOPC - although I cannot imagine how this kind of bug would be possible, this has gone through so many tests and interoperability workshops etc. that it is quite unlikely.

Best regards

More
09 Jun 2017 11:49 #5219 by Captain_Dash

Which LDS server are you using?
Is it something that came with your actual UA server, or a standard LDS from the OPC Foundation?

I need to clarify which LDS we are using, but I guess its coming from the OPC UA Server. At least the department which set up the server did not explicit installed a LDS.

Which OPC UA server are you connecting to?

We are using a Codesys UA Server.

Can you see the LDS server in the Services (what service name & description do you see)?

Unfortunately I can not tell if there is a service because I do not know the name of the service. And there was no name in the list which sounds familiar to this.

Is it always in the Running state?

I can not tell

Have you tried some other OPC UA client on the same machine to see if you get the same results?

Yes, I tried other OPC UA clients e.g. UA Expert which seems to be working properly even when network cable is disconnected.

Can I conclude, that if the other clients can discover the server, that a lds have to be installed?
I am trying to regain more information about the lds from another department here. Or can you tell me a short way to get this information from somewhere?

More
09 Jun 2017 09:42 #5218 by support
In the browse dialog, the exception is wrapped in one more exception layer, this is normal. But otherwise, the behavior in your app and in the dialog seems to be the same or similar.

It indicates, basically, a problem connecting to a (supposedly open) port of the (local) LDS server. That's weird, because locally, this should not depend on a presence of a functional network connection.

Which LDS server are you using?
Is it something that came with your actual UA server, or a standard LDS from the OPC Foundation?
Which OPC UA server are you connecting to?
Can you see the LDS server in the Services (what service name & description do you see)?
Is it always in the Running state?
Have you tried some other OPC UA client on the same machine to see if you get the same results?

Thank you

More
08 Jun 2017 10:04 #5216 by Captain_Dash
The errors which our application is getting and the demo are slightly different.

Our Application:

OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.OperationModel.UAException: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -2138963968 (0x80820000) occurred, originating from ''. The inner OPC-UA service exception with service result 'BadTcpInternalError' contains details about the problem. ---> OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.UAServiceException: Error establishing a connection.
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.LocalDiscoverApplications(UALocalDiscoveryQuery localDiscoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.InternalDiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.<>c__DisplayClass24_0.<DiscoverApplications>b__0()
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.DisposeGuard[TResult](Func`1 func)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.DisposeGuardNotNull[TResult](Func`1 func)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Internal.ForwardingEasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Internal.ForwardingEasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Internal.LicensingEasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.EasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.IEasyUAClientExtension.DiscoverApplications(IEasyUAClient client, String discoveryHost, UAApplicationTypes applicationTypes)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.IEasyUAClientExtension.DiscoverServers(IEasyUAClient client, String discoveryHost)
at Orbotech.Spirit.HWComponents.PlcAxes.PlcMapping.OpcUaAxisMapper.MapAndSubscribe() in D:\Projekte\visual studio\Orbotech.Spirit\HWComponents.PlcAxes\HWComponents.PlcAxes\PlcMapping\OpcUaAxisMapper.cs:line 353
2017-06-07 18:08:12,123 [Thread: 6] [HWComponents.PlcAxes; Orbotech.Spirit.HWComponents.PlcAxes.PlcMapping.OpcUaAxisMapper] [DEBUG] - Layer: 0, Type: OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.OperationModel.UAException Message: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -2138963968 (0x80820000) occurred, originating from ''. The inner OPC-UA service exception with service result 'BadTcpInternalError' contains details about the problem., Stacktrac: at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.LocalDiscoverApplications(UALocalDiscoveryQuery localDiscoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.InternalDiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.<>c__DisplayClass24_0.<DiscoverApplications>b__0()
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.DisposeGuard[TResult](Func`1 func)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.DisposeGuardNotNull[TResult](Func`1 func)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Internal.LicensingEasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.EasyUAClient.DiscoverApplications(UADiscoveryQuery discoveryQuery)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.IEasyUAClientExtension.DiscoverApplications(IEasyUAClient client, String discoveryHost, UAApplicationTypes applicationTypes)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.IEasyUAClientExtension.DiscoverServers(IEasyUAClient client, String discoveryHost)
at OurApplication.HWComponents.PlcAxes.PlcMapping.OpcUaAxisMapper.MapAndSubscribe() in directory\HWComponents.PlcAxes\HWComponents.PlcAxes\PlcMapping\OpcUaAxisMapper.cs:line 353
OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.OperationModel.UAException: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -2138963968 (0x80820000) occurred, originating from ''. The inner OPC-UA service exception with service result 'BadTcpInternalError' contains details about the problem. ---> OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.UAServiceException: Error establishing a connection.
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient.LocalDiscoverApplications(UALocalDiscoveryQuery localDiscoveryQuery)
at OurApplication.HWComponents.PlcAxes.PlcMapping.OpcUaAxisMapper.MapAndSubscribe() in directory\HWComponents.PlcAxes\HWComponents.PlcAxes\PlcMapping\OpcUaAxisMapper.cs:line 353
2017-06-07 18:08:12,126 [Thread: 6] [HWComponents.PlcAxes;

When using your demo application with network connection:

Exceptions

Type: OpcLabs.BaseLib.Browsing.BrowseException
Data:
HelpLink:
HResult: -2146233088 (0x80131500)
InnerException:
OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.OperationModel.UAException: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -2138767360 (0x80850000) occurred, originating from ''. The inner OPC-UA service exception with service result 'BadRequestTimeout' contains details about the problem. ---> OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.UAServiceException: Error establishing a connection.
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Browsing.UAEndpointBrowseable.BrowseNodes(Object parentNode, IEnumerable`1& nodes, IEnumerable`1& exceptions)
Data:
ErrorCode: -2138767360
HelpLink:
InnerException: OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.UAServiceException: Error establishing a connection.
Data:
HelpLink:
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpAsyncOperation`1.End(Int32 timeout)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel.EndSendRequest(IAsyncResult result)
at Opc.Ua.DiscoveryClient.FindServers(RequestHeader requestHeader, String endpointUrl, StringCollection localeIds, StringCollection serverUris, ApplicationDescriptionCollection& servers)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.ToolkitDiscoveryClient.OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.ISdkDiscoveryClient.FindServers(StringCollection serverUris)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.UADiscoverySession.<>c__DisplayClass29_1.<FindServers>b__0()
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.UAEngineBase.PerformSdkAction(UASdkCallType callType, Func`1 usingFunction, String name, Action sdkAction)
InnerException:
InternalCode: 2156199936
ServiceResult: BadRequestTimeout
AdditionalInfo:
Description: Error establishing a connection.
InnerResult: BadRequestTimeout
AdditionalInfo:
>>> BadRequestTimeout
--- at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpAsyncOperation`1.End(Int32 timeout)
--- at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel.OnConnectOnDemandComplete(Object state)
Description: BadRequestTimeout
InnerResult:
QualifiedSymbolicId:
ExpandedText:
IsNull: True
Name:
NamespaceUriString:
StatusCode: BadRequestTimeout
CodeBits: 32901
Condition: 133
FlagBits: 0
HasDataValueInfo: False
InfoType: NotUsed
InternalValue: 2156199936
IsBad: True
IsGood: False
IsUncertain: False
LimitInfo: None
Overflow: False
SemanticsChanged: False
Severity: BadOrFailure
StatusInfo: Error
StructureChanged: False
Text:
StatusCode: {BadRequestTimeout} = 0x80850000 (2156199936)
AdditionalInfo: >>> BadRequestTimeout

QualifiedSymbolicId:
ExpandedText:
IsNull: True
Name:
NamespaceUriString:
StatusCode: BadRequestTimeout
CodeBits: 32901
Condition: 133
FlagBits: 0
HasDataValueInfo: False
InfoType: NotUsed
InternalValue: 2156199936
IsBad: True
IsGood: False
IsUncertain: False
LimitInfo: None
Overflow: False
SemanticsChanged: False
Severity: BadOrFailure
StatusInfo: Error
StructureChanged: False
Text:
Description: Error establishing a connection.

AdditionalInfo: >>> BadRequestTimeout

ServiceTargetSite: T End(Int32)
DeclaringType: Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpAsyncOperation`1[T]
Module: Opc.Ua.Core.dll
Assembly: Opc.Ua.Core, Version=1.3.340.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6faddca41dacb409
CustomAttributes:
FullyQualifiedName: <Unknown>
MDStreamVersion: 131072
MetadataToken: 1
ModuleHandle: System.ModuleHandle
ModuleVersionId: 6bc4a55e-b10c-4d96-b839-e2e678dce03c
Name: <Unknown>
ScopeName: Opc.Ua.Core.dll
Source:
StackTrace: Opc.Ua.Core
TargetSite:
Message: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -2138767360 (0x80850000) occurred, originating from ''. The inner OPC-UA service exception with service result 'BadRequestTimeout' contains details about the problem.
Source: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA
StackTrace:
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Browsing.UAEndpointBrowseable.BrowseNodes(Object parentNode, IEnumerable`1& nodes, IEnumerable`1& exceptions)
TargetSite: OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Discovery.UAApplicationElementCollection LocalDiscoverApplications(OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Discovery.UALocalDiscoveryQuery)
DeclaringType: OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient
Module: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
Assembly: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA, Version=5.41.524.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6faddca41dacb409
CustomAttributes:
FullyQualifiedName: C:\Program Files (x86)\OPC Labs QuickOPC 2016.2\DemoNet\EasyOpcUADemo\OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
ModuleVersionId: 581fa2eb-99a0-433d-a2f0-4eb0952d27f8
Name: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
ScopeName: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
Source:
StackTrace:
TargetSite:

With Network connection plugged off:

Exceptions

Type: OpcLabs.BaseLib.Browsing.BrowseException
Data:
HelpLink:
InnerException:
OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.OperationModel.UAException: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF) occurred, originating from 'Opc.Ua.Core'. The inner exception, of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException', contains details about the problem. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel.BeginConnect(Uri url, Int32 timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel.BeginSendRequest(IServiceRequest request, Int32 timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpTransportChannel.BeginSendRequest(IServiceRequest request, AsyncCallback callback, Object callbackData)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpTransportChannel.SendRequest(IServiceRequest request)
at Opc.Ua.DiscoveryClient.FindServers(RequestHeader requestHeader, String endpointUrl, StringCollection localeIds, StringCollection serverUris, ApplicationDescriptionCollection& servers)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.ToolkitDiscoveryClient.OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.ISdkDiscoveryClient.FindServers(StringCollection serverUris)
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.UADiscoverySession.<>c__DisplayClass29_1.<FindServers>b__0()
at OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Toolkit.UAEngineBase.PerformSdkAction(UASdkCallType callType, Func`1 usingFunction, String name, Action sdkAction)
Data:
ErrorCode: -1
HelpLink:
InnerException:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel.BeginConnect(Uri url, Int32 timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel.BeginSendRequest(IServiceRequest request, Int32 timeout, AsyncCallback callback, Object state)
at Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpTransportChannel.BeginSendRequest(IServiceRequest request, AsyncCallback callback, Object callbackData)
Data:
ErrorCode: 11004
HelpLink:
HResult: -2147467259 (0x80004005)
InnerException:
Message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
NativeErrorCode: 11004
SocketErrorCode: NoData
Source: Opc.Ua.Core
StackTrace:
TargetSite: System.IAsyncResult BeginConnect(System.Uri, Int32, System.AsyncCallback, System.Object)
DeclaringType: Opc.Ua.Bindings.TcpClientChannel
Module: Opc.Ua.Core.dll
Assembly: Opc.Ua.Core, Version=1.3.340.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6faddca41dacb409
CustomAttributes:
FullyQualifiedName: <Unknown>
ModuleVersionId: 6bc4a55e-b10c-4d96-b839-e2e678dce03c
Name: <Unknown>
ScopeName: Opc.Ua.Core.dll
Message: An OPC-UA operation failure with error code -1 (0xFFFFFFFF) occurred, originating from 'Opc.Ua.Core'. The inner exception, of type 'System.Net.Sockets.SocketException', contains details about the problem.
Source: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA
StackTrace:
TargetSite: OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Discovery.UAApplicationElementCollection LocalDiscoverApplications(OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Discovery.UALocalDiscoveryQuery)
DeclaringType: OpcLabs.EasyOpc.UA.Implementations.NetSdk.NetSdkEasyUAClient
Module: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
Assembly: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA, Version=5.41.524.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6faddca41dacb409
CustomAttributes:
FullyQualifiedName: C:\Program Files (x86)\OPC Labs QuickOPC 2016.2\DemoNet\EasyOpcUADemo\OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
ModuleVersionId: 581fa2eb-99a0-433d-a2f0-4eb0952d27f8
Name: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
ScopeName: OpcLabs.EasyOpcUA.dll
Source:
StackTrace:
TargetSite:

More
08 Jun 2017 08:04 #5214 by support
Can you send me the call stacks of the exception and the inner exceptions?

Assuming that the error can be reproduced from the user interface of EasyOpcUADemo application as well, the easiest way to obtain these details is to start the app, press "Browse Servers", and then, when you see the error in the box at the bottom, press the small "..." button to the left of the error box. An "Exceptions" box appears, at then you can press the ""Copy To Clipboard" button on the bottom, and paste the to the forum or email.

Thank you

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds