Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

UA Client Development using Android

More
08 May 2014 06:13 #1943 by support
I am aware of the Xamarin tool. Unfortunately, making QuickOPC (OPCData.NET) work on Xamarin would probably be far from easy. There will be more issues like the one you described (I am also specifically concerned about the certificate generation part and related stuff).

It should be noted that the incompatibility lies in OPC UA .NET Stack level. Anybody who modifies this code (for any reason - in this case, to make it work under Xamarin) is legally obliged to give it back to the OPC Foundation. Apparently nobody has contributed such change so far, i.e. nobody has succeeded in this (unless they are keeping it for themselves, which would be against the terms of the license).

Conversely, if we make such a change, we will have to provide it to OPC Foundation as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdunlap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2014 15:22 #1941 by cdunlap
Hello,

I have recently stumbled across xamarin.com/android which allows .NET development for android devices. My initial thoughts would be that since DA is dependent on COM, which wouldnt exist on the android - a DA client is out of the picture. But since UA clients can communicate without DCOM, UA might be possible.

I downloaded the demo version and gave it a shot, but I am getting errors saying certain libraries cannot be found/loaded. Xamarin appears to provide a limited version of .NET framework, and my thinking is that the Data.NET libraries depend on things in the framework that it does not provide.

The particular dll that cannot be loaded in SMDiagnostics. From some searching, this depends on System.Configuration, which is not provided from Xamarin from what I can tell. Do you think that it will even be possible to develop a UA client for android using that software?

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds