Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

A Security Package Specific Error Occurred from DCOM

More
03 Sep 2015 08:27 #3539 by support
What I was trying to say is that we do not have this information. If anybody should know, it is Microsoft. I am sorry I do not have better news for you.

Best regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• saravana48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2015 05:03 #3538 by saravana48
Thank you for more information.

You have said that the error ("A Security Package Specific Error Occurred.") can come from multiple places and have several different causes. Could you list some of causes and places where the error is thrown? So that I can check it in the production machine and that may fix the issue. I am not good with the DCOM configuration.

More
26 Aug 2015 10:00 #3513 by support
If you do not get any errors with UseCustomSecurity = False, why do you want to have it set to True? Just keep it at False and be happy.

Best regards

More
25 Aug 2015 10:49 #3506 by support
Well, it should first be stated that (unfortunately), the error message you are dealing with ("A Security Package Specific Error Occurred.") is not quite clear, is not well documented, does not contain enough information to troubleshoot, and apparently it can come from multiple places and have several different causes. and, as it is a Microsoft-generated error, we cannot do anything about these issues with the messages.

I wanted to explain the above in order to make the following point: If, in your original post, you were getting "A Security Package Specific Error Occurred." occasionally, while in your new configuration, you either get it all the time (with one setting), or not at all )wit the other setting), then most likely the original cause (for the occasional error) is something completely different from the new cause (for the consistent error) - although it has the same text.

And, does it mean that we are changing subject here? Because, with the one setting you described, you get the desired results, or not?

Anyway, to your question: When UseCustomSecurity is 'false', we do not attempt to influence the COM/DCOM security from our OPC client classes. As a result, settings that get used are those given by that either the operating system (including the app setting in DCOMCNFG), or the hosting environment (CLR).

When UseCustomSecurity is 'true', we attempt to configure the COM/DCOM client security to the settings that (in our experience) work well in most common situations. When UseCustomSecurity is 'true', you can also use other settings (such as TurnOffCallSecurity) to influence what happens. If you like, I can look up details of what the affected COM securitys are, but frankly, it is not something that makes much sense to those that are not Microsoft security experts, and usually it's easier just to experiment and find the combination that works (which you have probably found already).

Best regards
The following user(s) said Thank You: saravana48

• saravana48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2015 09:46 - 26 Aug 2015 09:41 #3503 by saravana48
Thanks for the response.

I upgraded the QuickOPC Classic 5.12 to QuickOPC 5.31 and used the property
EasyDAClient.SharedParameters.Client.UseCustomSecurity before the very first OPC operation is attempted.

I have set the value False to the property UseCustomSecurity, the PLC tags/items subscribed without throwing any errors. But If I set the value True, the application throws the error 'A Security Package Specific Error Occurred' occasionally and not always(which is similar as my first post #3498 ).

So let me know the use of the UseCustomSecurity property?

Note: I have subscribed multiple tags/items using SubscribeMultipleItems function, the above error throws for all the PLC tags/items at a particular time for the setting UseCustomSecurity = True.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2015 09:41 by saravana48. Reason: update

More
21 Aug 2015 09:16 #3499 by support
Most likely, this error has nothing to do with OPC directly, but rather with things like computer/network/domain/DNS setup and condition.

Googling for the error (www.google.cz/?q=A+Security+Package+Specific+Error+Occurred ) gives interesting reading (although the results are not related to OPC). For example, users report that it has been related to stale computer accounts, split DNS (?) or other DNS issues, duplicate IP (due to DHCP), and other causes.

• saravana48
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Aug 2015 06:41 - 21 Aug 2015 11:50 #3498 by saravana48
I have created VB.NET application using OPC Labs QuickOPC Classic 5.12 to get the data form the PLC server(SoftwareToolBox's Top server in remote machine). I have configured the DCOM setup in the client machine and server machine. The application is working without any errors, but for past 10 days the applications throws the following error occasionally in item subscription.

A Security Package Specific Error Occurred.

What are the possible reasons/ situations to get this error?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2015 11:50 by saravana48.

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds