Professional OPC
Development Tools

logos

Online Forums

Technical support is provided through Support Forums below. Anybody can view them; you need to Register/Login to our site (see links in upper right corner) in order to Post questions. You do not have to be a licensed user of our product.

Please read Rules for forum posts before reporting your issue or asking a question. OPC Labs team is actively monitoring the forums, and replies as soon as possible. Various technical information can also be found in our Knowledge Base. For your convenience, we have also assembled a Frequently Asked Questions page.

Do not use the Contact page for technical issues.

Installation under Windows 8, .NET 3.5 needed although our software needs .NET 4.0?

More
29 Sep 2014 07:45 #2351 by support
Emilio,

actually, further investigation has discovered one more issue. So, while it is true that there is an error in the detection logic in our installer, there is also an issue within OPC Core Components install (which we cannot influence - it's from OPC Foundation), where they test just for .NET 2 CLR. And, without it, things like OPC proxies/stubs do not get installed, resulting in errors such as "Interface not registered".

So, with this double-bug, our current behavior is, on the surface, correct, because it "compensates" for the OPC Core Components problem (but it does not do it intentionally, and it does not do it correctly anyway, so some change to the logic is still needed).

I am trying to resolve the issue with OPC Core Components with OPC Foundation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2014 05:51 #2350 by Emilio
Wow, thanks a lot!
We will continue normally.

Best regards,
Emilio

More
27 Sep 2014 14:45 #2349 by support
Emilio,

I have investigated the installation logic, and found a flaw in the part that determines the required .NET Framework versions. Thanks for reporting this.

We will fix it and post a new build. It is still true, however, that under Windows 8 this message can be safely ignored, and the installation will proceed normally.

Best regards

More
26 Sep 2014 08:18 #2344 by support
Emilio,

I will reply in full later - please bear with me. There is probably a reason behind this, but I need to investigate in detail.

As a note, the "blocking issues" installation page does not, in fact, block the installation from further progress. So if the user knows it is OK, he/she can continue.

Z.

More
24 Sep 2014 06:22 #2334 by Emilio
Hello Zbynek,

here attached a ZIP with the screenshot I received from our tester.
The OpcLabs version is also visible, 5.23.

Thank you!
Emilio
Attachments:

More
24 Sep 2014 06:13 #2333 by support
Emilio,

1. Which version of QuickOPC is it - 5.23, or 5.31 ?
2. Can you please post here the precise error message or message box snapshot, and (if it is not clear from the message), try to identify the actual program that shows it? I am afraid that it may be coming from one of the OPC Foundations installs that we call, but I need to verify that. They may test for some .NET with CLR 2.0 which is anything up to 3.5 SPn.

Regards

More
24 Sep 2014 06:07 #2332 by Emilio
Hello,

our application is a .NET 4.0 application.
We are now installing it on test machines, not yet end customers.

We always said that we need .NET 4.0.

The following happened:
Our tester wanted to install the application, and the OpcLabs setup, on a machine with Windows 8.
OpcLabs didn't install because it said that .NET 3.5 SP1 or higher was needed.
.NET 4.0 also didn't install because Windows said that a higher .NET framework was already there.

Workaround:
Install first .NET 3.5 (although it is not needed directly by our application), the OpcLabs (Production Installation Mode), then our software.
Everything worked fine.

Question:
Is this the intended way?
Do we need to install .NET 3.5 on Windows 8 machines in order to install QuickOpc first?

Moderators: support
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds